SCOTUS Bows To Texas Bid To Annex Immigration Enforcement Away From Feds, For Now - TPM – Talking Points Memo

We have had conservative supreme courts in the past, but they were conservatives who generally agreed with the constitution and were unwilling to throw it out to achieve a Republican political goal. This current court has claimed unto itself the role of a super unelected legislature. No one will respect their opinions after they have retired. No one respects their integrity now.

21 Likes

Just Balls and Strikes!

And Justice is Blind.

No, the umpire is blind.

6 Likes

It takes five votes to stay a lower court ruling pending appeal. Without Handmaid and Rapey on board due to the weird administrative nature of the stay, they couldn’t get to five. The path to five would have been through Roberts and Handmaid, just as with the previous razor wire stay order. I suspect there are still five votes to strike this down on the merits later this year.

13 Likes

Which side won the Civil War, again?

15 Likes

Congress should just defend TX based US border Patrol and hand the whole thing off to Texas. Let the dog catch the car. I’m sure Calif, AZ and NM would like the added funding.

5 Likes

The Six are perfectly fine with people nearly dying in hospital parking lots waiting to become septic or dangerously ill while pregnant. This is a g-d mess.

13 Likes

The Chaos Court.

I have lost all faith in SCOTUS ability to make sane decisions. These guys are completely crazy.

17 Likes

How long before other states begin defying the fascist 6 on matters they consider settled, like birth control and more? They’re fine making themselves illegitimate until it blows back on them.

7 Likes

SCOTUS Bows To Texas Bid To Annex Immigration Enforcement Away From Feds, For Now

The court effectively overturned more than a century of precedent without a majority opinion.“

The Supreme Court effecting things on the ground without a majority opinion. Another way of saying that it is that a minority opinion prevailed — through Republican skullduggery, as usual.

The so called American Experiment in self government is really a largely rural minority controlled enterprise.

That is because of the Electoral College and how senators are equally apportioned, two per state regardless of their population. This is important because the Senate has unique powers that the House does not, such as confirming executive branch appointments, including judicial appointments.

Evidence of how America is structurally minority rule can be found in the composition of the Supreme Court: Tens of millions more Americans voted for Senators who voted NOT to confirm Trump’s SC appointees than voted for Senators who voted to confirm them.

11 Likes

I don’t think the vigilantes that are now given carte blanche to go after folks crossing the border are going to worry about hospital parking lots. It is now open season on migrants coming across the border.

For now.

7 Likes

States have a right to enforce federal laws, but they don’t have the right to enforce the 14th amendment.
Don’t ya’ll see how simple it is?

15 Likes

The Supreme Court’s mucked up majority spit on a century of immigration law today and unleashed unconstitutional chaos in Texas.

10 Likes

Well it is a corrupt court after all. No wonder they’re all over the map with their so-called “jurisprudence”.

3 Likes

What is King Herod known for?

King Herod | History, Reign & Death - Lesson | Study.com

Herod the Great is known for the Bible story where he tried to have Jesus killed and, in the process, had many children killed . He is also known for his architectural achievements including reconstructing and expanding the Jerusalem Temple, building fortresses, and building pagan temples.

2 Likes

Expand the court! Following the election go immediately to 15 seats. Stop pussyfootin’ around.

7 Likes

Clarence, Neil and Sam used the Constitution as toilet paper today.

5 Likes

If I’m Biden I pull every federal border agent out of Texas today. Tell Abbott to call up $CROTUS if Texas needs border patrol. Also I’d like to add it must suck to be a lawyer today and see your entire world view in pieces on the ground just like sweet dreams and flying machines.

9 Likes

just keep telling yourself that…

And Federalize the National Guard, and order them back to barracks.

10 Likes

Or deploy the BP to check the immigration status of all workers on farms and ranches in Texas. When done with that, hotels and janitorial services. Then…

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available