Schumer Tees Up A Vote On IVF To Make GOP Squirm Some More

Ed. Note: Nicole Lafond will be back to helming Where Things Stand soon.

Abortion politics was a minefield for Republicans even before the Alabama Supreme Court granted full legal status to frozen embryos, but in the aftermath of that decision the fault lines within the GOP have become more visible.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1491918

Go get ’em, Chuck.

18 Likes

Annie wonders what “intervention by an embryo” would look like. Seems like an idea for a Stephen King story.

34 Likes

The most powerful nation on the planet, utterly crippled by the most absurd and artificial dysfunction. Meanwhile, the oceans turn to acid and boil.

I can’t wait for the next superhero movie. This time, the good cape is gonna punch the bad cape to death in a special way not seen since 1996! Ima take my family to see it every day of my birthday week.

16 Likes

Another moral inconsistency: If you have a reverence for life, then presumably you would favor the use of IVF for couples who cannot have a child by natural means.

14 Likes

Looks a bit unified reichish to me.

26 Likes

Was at a conference recently that addressed infertility problems among veterans and Active Duty Service members. These populations tend to have higher rates, as do firefighters and farm workers because of occupational exposures. This is likely applicable to the entire population. Big time polluters and chemical companies produce vast amounts of endocrine disrupting chemicals that get into everything we breathe, eat, and drink, that affect fertility, low birth weight, and birth defects. It’s a full circle of evil going on here. Poison the people and then refuse to help them, e.g., through abortion services, contraception, and IVF, once the poison takes hold.

25 Likes
10 Likes

Only if you define “life” in a way we consider sensible. The non-chosen embryos that get discarded are typically the ones the embryologist considers less likely to implant and survive to term, but if you’re in the “every bunch of human cells is sacred” crowd, discarding those cells is equivalent to murdering a full-grown human.

(And of course the folks who can’t have a child by natural means could adopt, but typically a) they’re more likely to get a kid for adoption that they consider somehow defective, and b) the psych/home screening for IVF is substantially less invasive/rigorous than the screening for adoption.)

17 Likes

Yes PFAS are found in 100% of us. This has been going on for decades. Even animals in the Arctic Circle show levels. Because we have no agency as individuals, science is now focused on how to mitigate the harm. Meanwhile the plastics and pesticides industries enjoy minimal regulation. Years ago I worked with trauma surgeons who were trying to conduct research on the “Golden Hour.” They uniformly said, here we are trying to figure out how to save people who have been gunned down on the street. How crazy it this? Stop letting them get gunned down on the street.

23 Likes

“…any intervention by an embryo…”

By an embroyo? What if it’s an armed embryo?

11 Likes

Thank goodness I live in Pennsylvania. FL is expecting 12" to 20" of rain this week WITHOUT A HURRICANE. Nothing normal about this weather.

15 Likes

Is that where a group of embryos get together to get another embryo to stop drinking, snorting coke or injecting heroin?

17 Likes

Or, importantly (and maybe soon illegally), taking mifepristone.

8 Likes

Good for Schumer. Everyone of these votes will turn up in campaign ads against the GOP. Let them have to explain for once.

23 Likes

7 Likes

That’s the Republican party in a nutshell.

17 Likes

And the story that the companies knew about this for decades is a crazy ones:

Several of 3M’s most successful products contained man-made compounds called fluorochemicals. In a spray called Scotchgard, fluorochemicals protected leather and fabric from stains. In a coating known as Scotchban, they prevented food packaging from getting soggy. In a soapy foam used by firefighters, they helped extinguish jet-fuel fires. Johnson explained to Hansen that one of the company’s fluorochemicals, PFOS — short for perfluorooctanesulfonic acid — often found its way into the bodies of 3M factory workers. Although he said that they were unharmed, he had recently hired an outside lab to measure the levels in their blood. The lab had just reported something odd, however. For the sake of comparison, it had tested blood samples from the American Red Cross, which came from the general population and should have been free of fluorochemicals. Instead, it kept finding a contaminant in the blood.

Imagine taking a ‘control’ sample from the general population, only to find your chemical also in that blood. That should have triggered an ‘oh shi…’ moment by the company, but instead they did what every such company does and hid the data/downplayed the risk for decades.

19 Likes

If I were a religious man, I’d say God turning Florida into a natural waterpark is a sign of his displeasure.

13 Likes

And, unfortunately, they’re not alone …

So this is going to require a hell of a lot more than Schumer making GoP senators uncomfortable.

15 Likes