Schiff Says House Democrats May Not Ask Whistleblower To Testify

The announcement by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) that they had reached an agreement with the Iranian- and Russian-backed government of President Bashar al-Assad further undermined the prospect of any continued U.S. presence in the country. The deal will bring forces loyal to Assad back into towns and cities that have been under Kurdish control for seven years.

“An agreement has been reached with the Syrian government — whose duty it is to protect the country’s borders and preserve Syrian sovereignty — for the Syrian Army to enter and deploy along the Syrian-Turkish border to help the SDF stop this aggression” by Turkey, the SDF said in a statement.

It was unclear where and when the Syrian troops would deploy or whether U.S. forces were already pulling out of areas where they are based. U.S. officials declined to confirm local media reports that troops had pulled out of the towns of Manbij and Kobane, where local officials confirmed they had agreed to allow Syrian troops to deploy.

3 Likes

You seem in a good mood, dare I say you seem gay?

8 Likes

No apology needed, D!

“Why are you posting that cryptic blather, Dave?” is generally my own response to my posts, too.

8 Likes

No question in my mind. When all of our ducks in order, you schedule a vote on the articles of impeachment. Waiting for the Supreme Court to weigh in seems similar to expecting Lucy to actually hold the football in place for Charlie Brown.

Internalized oppression is a real thing, sometimes. I grapple with it too.

" Internalized oppression is a concept in [social justice], in which an [oppressed] group comes to use against itself the methods of the oppressor. Internalized oppression occurs when one group of people recognizes a distinct inequality of value compared to another group of people and, as a result, desires to be like the more highly valued group.

Wiki: "For example, sometimes members of marginalized groups hold an oppressive view toward their own group, or they start to affirm negative stereotypes of themselves. Internalized oppression may manifest on a group level as well as an individual one. Internalized oppression may result in conflict within the group, and discrimination among the group.

Internalized oppression may also exist among some immigrants and their descendants. If the host community devalues foreigner’s ethnic origin, native language or culture, the person may feel a sense of inferiority. This could lead to [self-hatred], which manifests itself through an exaggerated conformity with the dominant norms. In response to ridicule, an immigrant may attempt to compensate via [assimilation]."

It’s an interesting and powerful concept. It’s about self-hatred, perhaps a common phenomenon some places and at some times.

2 Likes

Let it remain a mystery. How about Deep State Throat!

1 Like

‘Deranged’ might be enough, especially in concert with his nonsensical and catastrophic withdrawal from Syria.

1 Like

Wiki not best source.

Internalized oppression is not as described in wiki. Rather it is when the oppressed group begins to take on the identity placed on them by the oppressor. Offending someone is never ok, though it is often considered so by the oppressor.

1 Like

Agreed.

The inspector general investigated the whistleblowers tip and found credible evidence.

If I understand this correctly, the WB doesn’t have “first hand knowledge” — which is irrelevant because the transcripts validate the story the WB is telling.

Having the WB testify would provide a great TV moment, but no direct evidence. But, as the IG stated, credible evidence does exist. And Schiff would be right to expose that.

2 Likes

So by threatening the WB, hasn’t Graham already broken the law?

4 Likes

Fed employee intimidation: Chump did it first and most often, and not just to the WB. In fact, he hasn’t missed any opportunity in any situation since Jan 2017. I hope it is being recorded for future prosecutions. His Twitter account is prime evidence and judges won’t be able to accept “just joking” as an excuse

7 Likes

gangster: Chump never could manage it until he got to the WH. yes he had a fixer and he was crimin’…but he needed the full might of the fed. govt, a crooked AG, and unlimited money and legal and felonious bootlickers (and Putin)to finally be a gangster

I am loathe to give him any credit. Most gangsters have some chops and some balls and he will never have that. But yes, he finally made it. It took more money and tools than any other gangster in history to make it happen, more than any other gangster EVER had, but he made it.

2 Likes

Hmmm, just got to wondering what the reaction would be (apologies if someone else got here first) to a demand that those who ‘informed’ Trump, Giuliani, Don Jr., et al of Biden’s alleged ’malfeasance’ be identified and compelled to testify under oath before any investigation could be undertaken or considered legitimate? (Too much bothsiderism?)

3 Likes

Your first two sentences, absolutely true! The next one, uh, not at all. If Person A overhears a co-worker, Person B, talking about B’s girlfriend being a sole witness to a murder. If Person A goes to the DA, the DA sure as hell should be interviewing and subpoenaing if necessary the girlfriend. Person B, let alone Person A, doesn’t have anything relevant to contribute to a prosecution, and their testimony, even if somehow it were admitted into evidence, would do very little to strengthen a case against the murderer. The girlfriend, on the other hand, might well be the key to corroborating any other evidence an investigation may have uncovered, and to a conviction. Other than being the source of, or passing on, a tip Persons A and B are irrelevant and their identities contribute nothing to a hearing of fact.

4 Likes

Great for whom? A lot of folks thought the spectacle of Mueller testifying would be boffo TV. How’d that turn out?

2 Likes

Forward-looking statement?

Methinks Mz Lindsey should not be so
gung-ho about outing people. Just saying.

1 Like

Who needs to reveal Devin’s Cow when you’ve already got the milk?

1 Like

3 Likes

Can’t trust the republican Congress critters to do the right thing

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available