Scenes From The Solar Eclipse - TPM – Talking Points Memo

For anyone in the path of totality, the solar eclipse can be an exciting moment to get a front-row seat to one of astronomy’s most incredible coincidences. Every year or two the moon passes directly between Earth and the sun, casting a shadow and completely blocking the sun from a swath of the planet. These events draws people from around the world to the path of totality, hoping to witness the magical moment when the world goes dark.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485442

Lol. It’s true that I’ve gotten to that point in life where it all seems to have come full circle, where I’m now back to being more interested in watching the people watch the eclipse than my watching the actual eclipse itself.

I got to witness the Eclipse in Hovver Valley ,Texas. It’s near Inks Lake State Park. It was pretty amazing despite some cloud cover hear and there.

1 Like

It was cloudy ALL DAY in Kerrville, Tx. But every now and then, the clouds thinned and the process of the eclipse became visible for a few seconds. Finally, totality was reached, the clouds thinned and the many people laying on the ground in the parking lot sent up a cheer. Someone blew a horn. Then the ring of fire vanished, only to reappear 2-3 more times, to more cheers and horn blasts.

Then it started to rain.

It was full dark during totality. The parking lot llights came on.

2 Likes

I watched the eclipse from Fort Erie, Ontario - a stone’s throw from Niagara Falls. We watched the moon intermittently as it gradually covered the sun. Unfortunately, the clouds covered the moon during the totality. Nevertheless, it was a fascinating experience. As the moon covered more of the sun, the temperature dropped and darkness approached. During the two-three minutes of totality, it was dark as night. Streetlights went on and birds behaved as if it was really nightfall. Then, the moon continued its course, and daylight - and warmth - returned. Even though I didn’t see the entire event, I experienced its full effects. Definitely an event to experience at least once in one’s lifetime, a privilege not granted to many.

1 Like

The eclipse was a huge hit in Quebec, with thousands turning up at an event organized by McGill University (they included 15,000 free eclipse glasses and yes, they ran out), thousands coming to town from outside the 100% corridor, etc.

We watched it from out in the “Eastern Townships”, about 50 km east of the city and it was also tres, tres cool and everything folks said it would be, and yes far more memorable than the one Ms Rowlf and I witnessed down in Oz back in the '70s (unless I’m just getting to that “forget stuff to make room for more stuff” phase of mental acuity? :thinking: ?)

Here are a couple of shots into our backyard, taken a few minutes before and just as full eclipse set in - enjoy!

5 Likes

Indianapolis was sunny and warm. Pictures that I took of the totality were not representative, as the phone camera brightened the scene to “daylight”. Saw stars. Well, planets, I think. Twilight horizons 360°. Telescope pics of the sun more spectacular than live, technically, but the experience can’t be translated.

My friend and I lay down in the “meadow” to watch the approaching totality, and after the Big Show, a woman came over to tell us that a couple of vultures were flying around over us! “But then one of you moved, and they went away,”.

3 Likes

I was outside the path of totality. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Definitely had the same problem, had the kids laughing. I did manage to point out a couple of stars (and maybe one was a planet? :thinking: ) as things went “full dark” but sadly, it didn’t last all that long… :nerd_face:

ETA: (But fortunately, no vultures! :laughing: )

1 Like

Amazing in Cleveland, and the weather happily broke for us with only high wispy clouds. One of the most stunning parts was the flare/diamond ring which looked like a flickering mini Mars, seen in some pictures near the 6 o’clock position. The temperature drop and cool winds, the silence of the birds…real magic.

2 Likes

:cry:

2 Likes

I was in Bloomington - perfect weather for an eclipse and nice clear skies. My wife captured this image from our front yard: image

2 Likes

I was also there at a secluded park in Cleveland Westlake and it was totally awesome. I thought that the slight cirrus cloud cover might spoil the show, but if anything it enhanced it, making for incredible colors and shadows. The colors on the horizon were sensational.

I’ve seen both eclipses and feel my life is complete.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available