Scarborough Unimpressed By Paul Ryan Swipes At Trump

While former House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) offered some biting critiques of President Trump in the new book “American Carnage,” “Morning Joe” host Joe Scarborough is unimpressed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1234937

Unimpressive Scarborough is unimpressed…

6 Likes

This is the case of the pot calling a pot a pot.

12 Likes

There is no such thing as a heroic enabler. Paul Ryan. Mitch McConnell and the rest of ‘em don’t deserve any accolades for making the Trump presidency less horrific than it is.

9 Likes

We have to keep in mind: They only look good in comparison.

3 Likes

Joe will be previewing his upcoming tutorial series on YouTube, “Herding Cats”, starting next week.

1 Like

“I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.”― Frederick Douglass

7 Likes

Hey Joe, your comments are complete crap. Ryan never actually championed ANYTHING - except his personal rise to power. He supported whatever got him to the top whether is was free trade or anti-Russian rhetoric - when it was popular with the Party. And yes, when Trump took over - Ryan licked his boots.

6 Likes

Frederick will be appearing at Cracker’s Uptown in Dubuque, August 8-11.

2 Likes

At the risk of stating the obvious, I think this whole incident reveals something most of us suspected all along: a good portion of the Republicans in Congress who “support” everything Trump does actually hate him. They really really hate him.

That’s important because, even though they’re cowardly, craven and will never stand up to him in public, their support for him is incredibly soft. It’s a safe bet that they’ll abandon him as soon as they feel they can get away with doing so (as soon as Trump has been weakened enough to not hurt them).

Put another way, it’s a pretty safe bet that nearly all of Trump’s support in Congress is built on a house of cards. Congressional Republicans don’t have Trump’s back. They only support him as long as they fear him.

8 Likes

Exactly. Well said.

2 Likes

So am I.

“So how did Paul Ryan justify everything that he overlooked?”

The same way the rest of the Republican Party did: $$$ Tax Breaks for their Donors.

4 Likes

I was unimpressed by him long before he retired.

4 Likes

Hey TPM, why do you publish so darn many stories about stuff Joe Scarborough says on his morning gabfest? Something like 0.2-0.3% of the American populace watch it on any given day (and I did the math on that). I get it that he’s mildly interesting as a former GOP guy and Trump fluffer who actually woke up from that delusion, but he is not newsworthy merely for offering what has been routine criticism since roughly January 2017.

2 Likes

Correction: They will always support him so long as they need him. FIFY

3 Likes

Joe Scarborough exercises the art of being witless to perfection, and in public nonetheless.

1 Like

Authoritarian politics is all about fear. It uses fear to hold followers, and fear to keep the governing hierarchy in line. The GOP knows that their devil’s bargain with Trump is forever. Anyone who breaks away will have nowhere to go; Trumpists will never forgive them, and Dems will never accept them.

4 Likes

Paul Ryan is not “in retirement”, he is just in the second phase of his career, for which the first was simply the application and interview process:

From Wikipedia:

In March 2019, Ryan joined the board of directors of Fox, the owner of Fox News Channel and the Fox broadcast network. He has since joined the faculty of the University of Notre Dame.

Having served the Plutocracy faithfully and slavishly, now he gets the monster paychecks for doing nothing but stroking his own ego. (Or think of this as his “promotion”).

5 Likes

I would also point out that Ryan is receiving top-quality health care and a pension thanks to idiots who didn’t have lawyers who can form shell companies and off-shore their money - that’s you, stupid taxpayers. But he doesn’t deny himself these things, despite his ‘core principles’ of self-reliance.

5 Likes