Sanders: Arizona Dems’ Censure Of Sinema For Torpedoing Voting Bills Was ‘Absolutely’ Appropriate | Talking Points Memo

Is it possible to get a cease-and-desist order on @dannydorko on a late Sunday afternoon? Asking for the rest of us on this thread. :wink:

4 Likes

The censure is right and just because Sinema is wrong, more than wrong, she is evil. Az. Dems. are right to disassociate the Dem… party from her. If she were to flip and officially moves to the dark side it would only prove the Az. Dems. right.

2 Likes

Dum-dum, also too.

4 Likes

Bernie has been a team player and kept his followers, for the most part, on board. He has supported Biden’s agenda. Biden has wisely made an effort to heal the divisions within the Democratic Party.

4 Likes

Remember when the conventional wisdom from the punditocracy was the Squad and progressive caucus were the ones who were going to stomp their feet and gum up the agenda where for the better part of the past year it’s been Manchin and Sinister.

2 Likes

I acknowledge that she did support voters rights, but voting against filibuster reform meant the loss of voting rights and that could mean the end of America as a democracy. So, I think it is totally appropriate for Democrats and Independents to voice anger at her actions.

1 Like

“Hi! I’m Kyrsten Sinema, and these are my Rick Perry Smart Glasses!”

3 Likes

She looks like the suspect in one of those “Florida teacher caught with underage students” stories that were once ubiquitous.

1 Like

Twenty lashes come with the censure? Esp. if she flips the Senate…

1 Like

Until Florida legalized it!

I have to say I am very angry with Sinema and have secured not just my vote for another democrat at primary time (2024) but 5 others who have told me they will not vote for her… or a republican.

2 Likes

I presume and hope that the Stephen Breyer will step down if the Democrats lose the Senate and do so in the lame duck period to allow the Dems to nominate and approve a new justice.

I am concerned about pissing Sinema off too much to the point where she won’t vote for a new justice out of spite.

2 Likes

Meanwhile …

Sanders: … Sinema … Torpedoing Voting Bills Was ‘Absolutely’ Appropriate | Fox News

Aww hell she’s gonna do that anyway …not outta spite but just because she can. She’s a/an (insert your fav epithet here). She voted to support the filibuster because she could. Remember …she bragged about being a co-sponsor of the voting rights bills and how strongly she supported them. Then her reason for voting for the filibuster was so fucking weak. She said it was a path to bipartisan feelings between the parties. Fuck that shit.

3 Likes

I like to compare the Senate to a hot-air balloon race. Senate rules enable and empower Senator Sinema to be a particularly colorful silk bag of hot air. She gets to say she’s for this that and the other thing, without any of the responsibility it would entail if any of it ever came to pass. And she likes it that way!

Meanwhile, one thing that sounds like a great idea to me, is to make it really convenient for every citizen to vote. Another great idea sounds like preventing inflation by financing infrastructure, child care, emergency relief, national defense, education and other urgent priorities with sharply progressive income taxation.

But how am I really supposed to know if none of the above is ever actually tried, because none of the above gets 60 votes and frankly, doesn’t even get 51 Democratic votes?

Cash for a Green Party spoiler candidate makes as much sense as I’ve heard. But I don’t think she even has the potential to be as effective as Stein. Stein, for a while, at least looked like a serious person. Stein managed to stay in a position to complain without ever being in a position to do anything, Sinema has literally managed to tank voting rights in the national spotlight.

A “Democratic” Sarah Palin, perhaps?

Hearing her complain that a carve out on voting rights will wreck the Senate, after voting FOR a carve out on raising the debt ceiling is incredible. Both her and Manchin are saying massively stupid things to defend the indefensible. They know they’re giving Republicans what they want, but in exchange for what? Republicans are going to find and finance candidates to run against Sinema and Manchin in 2024, so all they have done is make it easier for Republicans to beat them.

1 Like

Bernie and the “House Progressives” have NEVER been effective at anything besides voting against and undermining the Dem caucus. That’s certainly your opinion, but I see absolutely zero evidence of that assertion.

In fact, Bernie Sanders has been one of the least effective legislators over the last thirty-five years. He effectively scuttled Hillary Clinton’s campaign and deftly delivered the Supreme Court to its current Fascists. There, he was quite effective!

Hard disagree. Re-read my post, more precisely. I literally said I was “enormously frustrated with Bernie in several different cycles” but that since Trump–which I note you selectively excised–he had been very effective, especially as an anti-MAGAt attack dog. And he did not "scuttle Hillary’s campaign: Russia and the House @GOP did that.

Kathy Porter, Ayanna Pressley, and (especially) the mighty Pramiya Jayapal have been exceptionally effective at dragging the Overton Window of the possible in a leftward direction.

I was a Hillary supporter and thought Bernie (and his Bros) acted like assholes. But since Trump–repeating it so that maybe this time you’ll see I said it–he has been very effective with that window.

Re. Read. Read more precisely and completely.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available