Russia Launched Unprecedented Attack On Nuclear Power Plant | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.

After a tense night in which a Russian attack on a nuclear power plant raised alarm bells around the world, the fire at the complex has been extinguished and experts say the plant seems stable. Both sides in the conflict now say that Russia had taken control of the Zaporizhzhia plant.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1407647

This story didn’t make the cut this morning:

13 Likes

12 Likes

This is a propaganda victory for Putin says Heather Cox Richardson. It scares us. She’s right. Let’s take the hint and be especially thoughtful about what buttons we press and notice what buttons are being pressed. In this war, even our voices, however small, are a factor.

19 Likes

Seems to be a bit of room for Sens. Graham, McCarthy et. al in the Chicago mayor’s rant about biggest dicks. Am I wrong here?

5 Likes

“It scares us”
Not all of us. It just pisses me off but it’s something interesting to add to my Russian restaurant reviews.

16 Likes

It’s stupidity. Tanks in a nuke plant, firing their guns is not propaganda … it is stupidity.

25 Likes

Why is this “unprecedented”? It’s war that is being waged.

1 Like

What cut didn’t it make?

Wonder if this one will show up in MM: Supreme Court rules against disclosure in torture case

Wonder no more:

17 Likes

It scares the shit out of masses of people around the world, grabs headlines everywhere and that serves Putin’s purpose perfectly.

12 Likes

I suppose but so what? Let them cower. I won’t.
Zelenskyy won’t. The people of Ukraine won’t.
The only proper response AFAIK to Putin is “go fuck yourself” but that’s just me and most of Ukraine.

21 Likes

29 Likes

China: nothing personal, Russia, it’s just business.

39 Likes

This miscreant’s fingerprints are all over just about every dastardly deed the GOP is involved with.

45 Likes

It’s a propaganda victory for Putin quite apart from what you or I or the Ukrainians feel.

8 Likes

Putin is an adherent of Nixon’s madman theory—“I’ll do any crazy thing!”—as was Trump, except Putin’s no coward. And he may actually be a madman. So there’s that. And Graham should keep his goddamn posturing mouth shut. Putin’s paranoid enough already. I share the sentiment but the last I heard the United States does not advocate assassination of national leaders, however deserving.

36 Likes

18 Likes

Sigh. The rational mind says try and convict him, should the evidence justify it. The heart says shoot him like the rabid dog he is.

18 Likes

Sorry…I just don’t see it as any kind of a propaganda victory. How is such terrorism construed as a propaganda victory?
You don’t gain support by being a total asshole.

7 Likes

Goddam right! And Graham knows better. He’s a disloyal shit.

14 Likes