Rogue SCOTUS Abandons Democracy In Her Hour Of Greatest Need

I play the happy idiot with Elie. I have been too stupid to understand that she should be fed as soon as I wake up (and that time can be adjusted for a cat’s convienience!) so she cuddles with me for an hour or so once I am up until I realize it is time for BREAKFAST!

21 Likes

The headline and first paragraphs from Jesse Wegman’s OpEd in the NYT says it all:

Trump’s Immunity Case Was Settled More Than 200 Years Ago

Did the American Revolution actually happen? If it did, was it a good thing?

This is more or less what Justice Elena Kagan seemed to be wondering during the oral arguments in Donald Trump’s Jan. 6 immunity case at the Supreme Court on Thursday morning. “Wasn’t the whole point that the president was not a monarch and the president was not supposed to be above the law?” she asked.

92 Likes

If she’s the one it’s because trump found out about her shooting the dog.

28 Likes

I saw that headline elsewhere, felt sick, and refused to click on the story. Then I went to my JRT, picked him up and hugged him.
What is wrong with these people? What’s missing?

41 Likes

Most Republican leaders are sociopaths. Noem is so ambivalent about the pain she causes others that she brags about her sociopathic acts.

If she were VP her advice to Trump would be to order loyal troops to use live ammunition to break up protests. And then she’d praise herself while standing atop a pile of bodies.

40 Likes

Video: Donald Trump, Disgusting and Warped as Always, Calls August 2017 Neo-Nazi March in Charlottesville “a little peanut,” “nothing” | Blue Virginia

36 Likes

I’ve always thought that packing the court was a really bad idea, but if this court gives Trump any claim of immunity then I would say that the court has already lost the value that those of us who opposed packing the court hoped to preserve.

76 Likes

25 Likes

Morning Memo getting earlier. David didn’t forget to set his alarm? PuPPY!

50 Likes

Ding ding ding…we have a winner !

And now we know who will be Trump’s VP pick

29 Likes

As I’ve said here many times, the legal system can’t seem to appreciate the existential threat to itself that Trump and the MAGA movement represent.

I think you’re wrong here David, they (SCOTUS) understand the threat; truly they are a part of that threat. They just want to be on the side of the fascist state that would exist after the dust settles.

42 Likes

I had similar thoughts yesterday evening.

34 Likes

Yeah, just like Soviet Communists did!

27 Likes

dsHjpU3

Ah-ha Mr. Kurtz, then there might be some truth to this.

52 Likes

Quiet flows the Don.

4 Likes

If (when) he loses this election and attempts another coup, he could be prosecuted then, couldn’t he? Channeling Jeb! please say yes.

9 Likes

I think the legal system does appreciate the threat. Some, like Luttig, have been sounding the alarm. I think we’re going to see more of that very soon.

31 Likes

I’ve been in that situation, and I feel comfortable in saying that Noem’s cynical “this is how tough I can be” attitude toward what should be viewed as a painful though necessary ethical duty confirms for me that she’s a fucking sociopath.

The fucker should consider himself lucky not to be in jail.

Yet.

So we get out in the streets (in November, and after) and we make them pay.

40 Likes

Fox News’ failed attempt to use Hunter Biden to gin up an impeachment of his father, by the numbers | Media Matters for America

Fox News has mentioned Hunter Biden at least 13,440 times since January 3, 2023, when Republicans took control of the House of Representatives after promising to use their power to investigate the business interests of President Joe Biden’s son, according to a Media Matters review. The network’s nonstop Hunter fixation prodded House Republicans to launch an impeachment inquiry based on related conspiracy theories in September. But the investigation has failed to identify compelling evidence of wrongdoing by the president, and is now reportedly in an advanced state of collapse.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. James Comer (R-KY), who has led the impeachment probe, recently told a colleague he is “ready to be ‘done with’ the impeachment inquiry,” as the inquiry “appears to be at a dead end, with Republicans resigned to the reality that they don’t have the votes to impeach the president,” CNN reported Wednesday. “He seemed to think he had a lot of stuff that just seemed to indicate some things that needed to be investigated. I don’t know what happened,” one GOP lawmaker said of the House Oversight chair.

35 Likes

As I’ve said here many times, the legal system can’t seem to appreciate the existential threat to itself that Trump and the MAGA movement represent.

The reason is they don’t see it as a threat, they see it as a step to the promised land; i.e. the Federalist Society judges.

16 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available