Rick Gates Asks For No Prison Time Ahead Of Next Week’s Sentencing | Talking Points Memo

The President’s former deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates asked a judge for no prison time in a sentencing memorandum filed Monday, more than 21 months after he pleaded guilty to conspiring against the United States and lying to the FBI. Gates’ attorney pointed to hundreds of hours of cooperation Gates had given federal, local and congressional investigators.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1267544

You don’t always get what you want, Rick.

8 Likes

Good luck with that.

ETA: where’s that one word answer again???

He wants his Rolodex of criminals back before Rudi G gets hold of it.

4 Likes

To coin a phrase:

“Lock him up!”

22 Likes

Dear Mr. Gates:
This is what happens when you leave home on a trip without either googlemaps or an in-dash GPS at hand. It’s difficult to know exactly where your travels will take you.
Sincerely,
The Courts

11 Likes

He might actually get it, though. He was one of the earliest cooperators, gave them a lot of leads and connected a bunch of dots.

14 Likes

I thought so too. If I were Gates, I would keep being somber…and locate a good plastic surgeon.

12 Likes

Well if Judge Berman Jackson doesn’t give him jail time which ever state Gates is a resident of will surely have a case for tax evasion, so there’s that.

6 Likes

He may get that, or something very light. Gates knew they had him dead to rights from the beginning and nobody was going to come to his rescue. Prosecutors will probably cite his cooperation.

6 Likes

I’m ok with him walking. From what I can tell, he has completely cooperated. I want to encourage other low-hanging fruit to spill their guts to prosecutors. That being said, Flynn deserves nothing but derision.

11 Likes

Can he be sentenced to a week of testifying before the Impeachment prosecution panel in the Senate?
I mean, hey, a judge can get real creative with sentencing.
Call it the “Spill-the-beans” probationary period.

9 Likes

hair plugs would work…

2 Likes

My offer is this: nothing.

4 Likes

We have to make an example of anyone who would willingly enter into a conspiracy against the United States.

Gates has been cooperative, and so keeping our investigative tools sharp requires that we give him some kind of a deal. But that deal ought to be based on a fitting punishment for treason.

He should go to prison for some time, but with a guarantee that he’ll be a free man long before any non-cooperating target.

He should be barred from holding elected office or participating in any official capacity in any political campaigns, for life. He’s a confessed election cheater, and a democracy cannot suffer a cheater anywhere near the machinery of elections. Too bad for him.

All his professional licenses should be revoked, and he should be required to earn them again (if it’s even possible).

17 Likes

Walk or not? I really don’t care, but not one penny of mine in his pocket ever.

3 Likes

not yet rick, you are just trying to find what the judges mood is on you.
I hope the judge sticks with:

Lock him up!

1 Like

You misspelled prison.

11 Likes

Pick up the soap!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available