Republicans Think Best Way To Block Dems’ Bill Is To Argue About Definition Of ‘Infrastructure’

This one’s a different issue, and those polls from earlier suggest they could get more traction with it on the issue of infrastructure, particularly since COVID was almost top of the list for people’s priorities, but infrastructure was several items down under things like the border and health care.

I fully expect that as we arrive in early and mid-2022, we’ll have nothing to show for ourselves except the COVID relief bill and a country whose unfalteringly imbecile population has already turned on us as a result.

There is zero bipartisan support for tying this overwhelmingly popular issue to a massive tax increase on American businesses

If an increase in the corporation tax from 21% to 28% is massive, then what is the adjective to describe the 2017, GOP only, cut from 35% to 21%?

If high-speed internet is an overwhelmingly popular issue but you won’t fund it with either a modest tax increase or an increase in the National Debt, then how do you propose to pay the cost?

3 Likes

Exactly.

Even if only as a negotiating tactic, the proposal should have been to reverse that policy change entirely.

2 Likes

I just don’t see it. First, it’s about to be summer and that’s when most Americans tune out of politics altogether. I think that’ll be even more the case this year as people finally get to go on vacations that have been put on hold. Second, we’re finally emerging from a pandemic that began over a year ago. Joe gets a ton of credit for that and will continue to get the credit especially as life returns to some version of normal. Third, infrastructure is never not popular. Even Republicans like it. Fourth, how long do you honestly think they’ll be able to keep up this argument when the base desperately wants them to get back to whining about boycotts and Black people? This is a policy debate, not a culture wars one, and they don’t do policy anymore.

9 Likes

I’m concerned that the GOP is deliberately dragging their feet. Hearing about Biden’s meeting today and now he’s got to go to Congress and talk to individual members. Hope everyone is on top of schedules.

1 Like

Look at more of the polling the GQP was cherry-picking from in its memo that TPM posted earlier. It’s surprisingly disheartening. The majority of the country still thinks “bipartisan” is a thing and wants the infrastructure bill to fit that. It does not have the emergency impetus behind it that the COVID relief bill did. Moreover, the majority are so utterly stuck on stupid that they oppose the green portions of the infrastructure plan and want it done separately (if done at all), which will mean it dies a silent death because there’s no way we’re justifying getting right of the filibuster for legislation that is solely about green energy…Koch and Big OIl and Big Coal are spending WAAAAAAAAAY too much money already to oppose this because of the inclusion of that stuff. They won’t spend any less to oppose it if we attempt to do it separately. Face it, the country is too stupid and is busy Darwinning itself over the GQP desire for permanent minority-rules white Christian hegemony, the “middle’s” fucktarded MSM-driven belief in false equivalence bothsiderism, the “independents’” refusal to learn enough to take a position on anything and the Dems’ constant, unadulterated messaging failures.

Outside the US, particularly in the big hydrocarbon producing states such as Russia and Saudi Arabia, there is a debate about what kind of hydrogen economy we will build. When Marsha Blackburn talks, it’s still just the austerity record playing. Nothing about what kind of infrastructure we need, and particularly, how our energy is produced in a decarbonized environment. It turns out that the debate is not just about blue hydrogen vs. green hydrogen economy. You have grey, brown, and more!

Not all hydrogens are created equal

Hydrogen, in itself, is a clean fuel. Manufacturing hydrogen fuel, however, is energy-intensive and has carbon byproducts. What is now called brown hydrogen is created through coal gasification. The process for producing grey hydrogen from natural gas throws off carbon waste. Blue hydrogen uses carbon capture and storage for the greenhouse gases produced in the creation of grey hydrogen.2 Green hydrogen production – the ultimate clean hydrogen resource – uses renewable energy to create hydrogen fuel. For example, water electrolysis used to produce long-duration hydrogen energy storage requires a lot of energy. That energy could come from renewables.

Wood MacKenzie has predicted that green or low-carbon hydrogen will become cost-competitive by 2040, given increased scale and lower costs of renewables, along with higher costs for producing brown, grey and blue hydrogen. That seems like a long way off. Still, utilities are no strangers to long-term planning.

1 Like

Exactly what I was going to say. They “got nothin” and it shows. It’s like they aren’t even trying.

3 Likes

Why not just rename it the Rigged And Fake Democrat Bill.

1 Like

They have been using that one on women forever. Didn’t work on us and isn’t going to work now.

3 Likes

Getting back to our pre-pandemic normal. Sad.

2 Likes

Totally agree. The GOP is striking out every time they try to explain opposition. It boggles the mind how bad they have gotten. Boggles in a good way. :wink:

4 Likes

When you are trying to redefine words, you are so losing!

4 Likes

After all, it’s worth replacing your tires, wheels, steering and suspension systems three times more frequently than you’d have to if the roads were decent as long as the price of gasoline doesn’t go up. We can all get giant back-country SUV’s and climb our way out of the pot-holes. It’ll be really cool.

And it’s not like people need better Internet service. Fuck that if anyone has to actually pay for it. It’s not like it’s the backbone of the economy or anything.

Seriously, are Republicans that stupid???

2 Likes

To be fair, they succeeded in 2009 and 2010 when Dems were unprepared.

Fortunately, it seems like most Dems have learnt their lesson. Exceptions (cough…Manchin…cough) do however exist.

1 Like

Joke’s on them, mine are both dead!

You said the same thing last year before Dems held the House and won the presidency and the Senate. And some of us can’t afford to face that as a reality or we might as well swallow a bullet now.

4 Likes

This is a temporary reprieve if we don’t make use of it. Neither Manchin and Sinema…and certainly not the GQP nor MSM…will let us make use of it. That pretty much completes the country’s story. There’s always Australia I suppose…hehe

So can I get my credit cards to cancel my balances due by redefining the definition of “debt”?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available