Republicans Think Best Way To Block Dems’ Bill Is To Argue About Definition Of ‘Infrastructure’

Republicans have taken a philosophical turn when talking about President Joe Biden’s $2 million-plus infrastructure plan.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369307

To quote @emiliano4 in another thread:

Translation: "We Got Nothin’ "

15 Likes

This is a “jobs bill”, nt n infrastructure bill. No need to argue over bs.

12 Likes

“Okay. Which popular job creating items would you like to defund, then?”

Should be every media followup to this tactic.

14 Likes

“We can reduce the costs simply by cutting out these twenty states from the recipients of the money in this bill…”

9 Likes

“There is widespread bipartisan support for increasing access to high-speed internet, particularly in rural areas,” a Senate Republican aide recently told the Wall Street Journal. “There is zero bipartisan support for tying this overwhelmingly popular issue to a massive tax increase on American businesses still reeling from a once-in-a-century pandemic.”

American businesses benefit from uni. high speed internet service in both the rural and urban areas. The tax is just a small issue that they’ll deal with in the long run in other ways. Oh, I’m sure they’ll bitch and moan over it but, in the end, int’l. major corporations. will get over it.

7 Likes

Edit: Which program in your State or District would you like to defund?

13 Likes

I’m laughing because Republicans are comparing this actual infrastructure bill with the imaginary Trump “infrastructure week” we had for four years.

19 Likes

Republicans Think Best Way To Block Dems’ Bill Is To Argue About Definition Of ‘Infrastructure’[quote=“discobot, post:1, topic:205790”]

Republicans have taken a philosophical turn when talking about President Joe Biden’s $2 million-plus infrastructure plan.
[/quote]

Once again, the stupid and ignorant are stroooong in this GOP.

6 Likes

“There is zero bipartisan support for tying this overwhelmingly popular issue to a massive tax increase on American businesses still reeling from a once-in-a-century pandemic.”

You know who is still reeling from Trump’s pathetic response to COVID-19, yeah people. People who actually do need help caring for elderly parents, people who now have to straighten out a loved one’s/ones’ effects, when the loss of brick and mortar business reaches the death toll numbers then I might take you seriously.

As for broadband in rural counties someone needs to shove a microphone in front of Rep. Viki Hartzler’s face and demand that she go on the record for this. She says that she’s been fighting for this for 5 terms in MO-04.

9 Likes

If only there were a way to construct the bill where it would have a floating price tag, i.e. if the Rethugs in the House and Senate vote against the bill, their states simply wouldn’t participate in it. Then the actual cost of the bill would go down.

This may at first seem like collective punishment but considering that most Guardians Of Plutocrats-dominated states are by-and-large welfare states to begin with anyway, it’s only fair that they finally enjoy fruits of the “representative government” they voted for. Let their infrastructure crumble while the rest of the states get all the much-needed improvements.

Sure, it isn’t really fair but, again, shouldn’t government give the people what they want?

ETA I now see @meri suggested the same thing.

10 Likes

That’s a powerful message the Republicans have there. Who among us hasn’t lain awake at night asking themselves, “What is infrastructure really? What makes something count as genuine infrastructure as opposed to pseudo-, liberal infrastructure?” I think their message will resonate deeply with ‘Murcans.

19 Likes

The amazing thing is that the GOP believes that a bill with this much popular support can be derailed.

With “popular support”.

What kind of “population” are they talking to?

8 Likes

Republican’s idea of infrastructure is sooo 19th century.
Texas winter storm did how much damage to the state’s economy over the effects of COVID?
Flint MI, lead water pipes. And according to a PBS documentary, (why would PBS ever lie to me) Flint’s problem with lead water pipes isn’t even the worst situation in the country.

I could go on through the list, but Republican are so fucking short sighted. And why didn’t they pass their “infrastructure bill”, or write their “infrastructure bill” when they controlled both chambers and the WH?

14 Likes

Only among themselves nationally. I wonder what Republicans in Congress talk about to their state Republicans?

1 Like

God damn those Democrats and their green jobs. Who would possibly want one of those?

5 Likes

Democrats have to avoid falling for this crap. Some of them are out there being pulled into the argument about what is infrastructure. No one cares. Biden called it a JOBS bill for a reason. Jobs are popular. Americans like jobs. Infrastructure is boring**. So let’s not flub this one up, okay?

** I mean, not to me, but to most people

11 Likes

18th century. They are excluding rail.

But ancient Rome had water pipes, so… Bronze Age?

4 Likes

Martians?

(Somebody had to say it)

Wow. That’s the best they’ve got? What a lame argument. Where’s the bumper sticker phrase, like “Dems wanna kill Gramma with their infrastructure bill!” They are really off their game.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available