leading Republicans have almost casually and with little fear of political recrimination begun to relitigate same-sex marriage, contraception and interracial marriage.
Given the main trends of GOP politics over the last 20 years, I can kind of understand opposition to same-sex marriage and contraception (Anti-abortion lite…), but interracial marriage? Wow. The transformation of the GOP into a pure White nationalist party is progressing far faster than I would ever have imagined. America has never really dealt with its 2 original sins: slavery and the subjugation of Native Americans, and in the final analysis everything always seems to boil down to ‘race’.
IMO, Clarence only got one vote right in his 30+ on the bench, and he was in the minority. It was that eminent domain case out of Connecticut, where Aetna wanted to expand its headquarters, so Aetna got the city (I forget which) to condemn a neighborhood.
A flamingo that flew away from a Kansas zoo during a windstorm has been spotted in Texas—17 years later. The Wichita Eagle reports that officials at the Sedgwick County Zoo had not yet trimmed the feathers of two flamingos before they escaped in 2005. The one tagged Flamingo No. 492 headed for the Gulf Coast while the other went north. Texas wildlife watchers have seen it a number of times over the years, most recently on March 10 in Cox Bay on the Gulf Coast, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife. Authorities have no plan to try and capture it.
Oh, absolutely. I would sure like to know what it is that Moscow Mitch has on all of those quivering, cowardly colleagues of his. It’s appalling that not a one has a thought of their own but all kowtowing to that evil man.
.
This has been going on for over a decade, whether he’s been majority leader or not. I’m more worried about MoscowMitch’s hold on the GQP than I am about TFG’s. Mitch ain’t goin’ anywhere except in the ground, some day (when the Devil decides he’s ready to take on someone more evil than he).
All of this shows what Umberto Eco called the syncretic nature of fascism, i.e., taking contradictory elements of ideology and welding them together, and the contradictions somehow don’t bother them.
Their argument against Obamacare was that it would (somehow) “come between you and your doctor,” a sacred privacy right. They constantly invoke attorney-client privilege in their political crimes, even though the alleged attorney was in on the commission of the crimes. The “right” to go to any public or private venue and not even be asked about one’s vaccine status is an alleged “privacy right.”
Yet I vaguely recall during the Bork hearings, when conservative constitutional witch doctors were justifying the stance that abortion was not legally justified, they basically said quite unequivocally that the Constitution does NOT guarantee any right of privacy whatsoever.
Obviously, this is all Orwellian doublethink.
EDIT: Since there seems to some agreement, here is Eco’s full essay on Ur-fascism. Written in the 1990s, it is MORE relevant today:
Seems to me that at least part of the big picture is being missed. Yes, privacy is under attack, but the common thread to me looks more like the “relitigation” of the justifications of the Civil War, namely the “State’s Rights” push. Braun, a senator from my state who embarrasses me on a continuing basis, summed it up perfectly: these contentious issues should be the purview of individual states. No need for all these laws that cover all Americans. We are, in the conservative view, merely The States of America.
Despite the awkward insensibilty of our original pre-Constitution confederation and the failure of the CSA, the right wingers that want to be the descendants of the Old South are talking these days as if the North surrendered to the South and adopted that philosophy.
Yes, that’s why I hope we will one day find out what the kompromat is that he has on all of them. The only other explanation is that they are all spineless, immoral and unethical.
Of course, now that I think of it, they’re Goopers, so I guess that explains it.
In public remarks, leading Republicans have almost casually and with little fear of political recrimination begun to relitigate same-sex marriage, contraception and interracial marriage.
White Americans are willing to go a long way just to own the libs.
Just like the question, how long does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
Answer: The world may never know.
I seriously believe there’s so much to the GQP that will remain hidden for a hundred years. You and I will never know the outcome any more than our parents knew the total outcome of the Kennedy assassination in the 1960s.