Republican Squeaks By In Election That Should Have Been A Blowout

Republican Dan Bishop squeaked by in the North Carolina ninth district special election Tuesday, winning by two points a district that President Donald Trump carried by 12 in 2016.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1247569

What’s the bet they’re so arrogant they stole it again? I’d say even.

My kingdom for an accountant.

27 Likes

13 Likes

This is an unsurprising result, but still a bit disappointing.

It’s still a good sign for 2020 though… the GOP had to spend a lot of money to eke out a narrow victory for a seat that was previously R+12, so we’re talking about a nearly 10 point swing towards the Democrats. If that pattern holds, 2020 should be a pretty good year.

23 Likes

After reading various articles lately where moderate Republicans interviewed were going for McCready, I wouldn’t be shocked if they put their finger on the scale again.

14 Likes

This was a VERY weak win for the GOP. The district is still very gerrymandered. This was a special election which almost always skew conservative. Democrats have always had difficulty getting very large numbers of our people to the polls during off-year (and special) elections. The numbers tell us a good story. The wave is still there. Two years from now when the maps are drawn more fairly, this should be ours.

26 Likes

It is extremely irritating because McCready probably won in 2018. I hope he runs again in 2020 and he would probably have a much better chance if there is a fair redrawing of the NC House districts before then.

14 Likes

Same result as the Ossoff election in GA-06 a year or so ago. Boo. If not for the fact Lucy McBath prevailed this past election I would be totally despondent that the rethugs had complete control of red state election results.

still hard to take solace in a close loss.

7 Likes

McCready should have been declared the winner when the blatant cheating was discovered. Republicans should not have gotten a do over.

31 Likes

Oh, well, I’d say it’s a given. I hope the numbers and ballots are scrutinized.

6 Likes

And they’re celebrating like its V-E Day.

6 Likes

Well, it’s not a Hollywood ending, unless we’re talking about Apollo Creed getting the hell beaten out of him by a nobody palooka amateur boxer from Philadelphia named Rocky. Trump is of course strutting about trumpeting the news, and I say let him. Let him think he’s invulnerable. This district was what, R+12 or something when Trump won? And the guy only wins by two percentage points? He was down 14 at one point? In the mean time, the third poll in days comes out with Trump’s approval under 40? Yeah. Let him prance around and think it’s in the bag.

27 Likes

Or September 11th.

16 Likes

Congratulations to the GOP for learning new techniques to ensure close races result in 1.5-2.5pct GOP wins.

9 Likes

Didn’t Romney and McCain also carry the district by 12 points? The numbers from last night aren’t at all good for the GOP going forward. Also, this district may not be so gerrymandered come next election.

11 Likes

Of course, the election was totally about Trump and he thinks HE won. It will give him an adrenaline rush for, oh, 24 hours or so before he finds something new to fume about.

8 Likes

The state court ruling in NC will result in state level office districts being redrawn but I don’t know if it will apply to US House districts – let’s hope so. Even if it doesn’t, the new districts drawn up based on the 2020 census by a more balanced legislature should eliminate the worst of the gerrymandering or so I pray.

6 Likes

Though the election should worry rethugs, McCready also lost some votes he was not supposed to lose. Maybe something happened again, but if not, Dems should think about how to get those votes back.

9 Likes

Yup. You have to look past an attitude of win yay lose boo to see the bigger picture. It’s like Beto giving Cruz a real scare in freakin’ Texas. Trump didn’t win because of his base. He won because once he got the nomination basically with a plurality, the normal Republicans fell in line like always. But he gets up every day and proves he’s exactly what we warned them about, and they’re getting the message.

11 Likes

That sure looks funky.

9 Likes