Report: Trump Not Planning On Aggressively Fighting Against Impeachment

President Donald Trump reportedly isn’t interested in putting up a tough fight against House Democrats’ move toward impeaching him for an unprecedented second time, unlike during last year’s impeachment saga.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1353912
1 Like

Looks like he’s gonna use the Dope-a-dope strategy

28 Likes

He’ll be too busy leading the United States of Texabama.

21 Likes

He figures that the Senate will stall and/or acquit.

21 Likes

For someone seeking to work outside the mainstream, impeachment is a feature not a bug. More profitable by far to let himself be impeached and then raise money off it.

20 Likes

A White House official told Politico that Trump knows the GOP-controlled Senate will keep him safe.

We all know that the impeachment process can’t move fast enough to actually remove Trump before the 20th. No Senate trial will occur during the final 8 days of GOP control. After that, the Democrats can conduct a non-sham trial that actually enters evidence into the proceedings. He can still be convicted in absentia.

37 Likes

WaPo

He buried his son a week ago. Now Jamie Raskin is leading the impeachment charge.

It had been a week since his 25-year-old son, Thomas Bloom Raskin, died by suicide, less than two days since they buried him, and just over 12 hours since Raskin took cover with his daughter and son-in-law at the U.S. Capitol as thousands of Trump supporters ransacked the building and fatally attacked police.

35 Likes

A second Impeachment makes Trump number one over other impeached Presidents.
He, once again, will be #1.

18 Likes

I don’t see why he would fight it. The House will impeach either way, so he’ll always be the first impeached twice.
Then, if the Senate protects him, he’s still gone next week. If the Senate doesn’t protect him, he’s gone this week. Not much difference there.
The only difference is being able to run for president again and I bet even he realizes that’s over. The pension and Secret Service protection probably don’t mean much to him.

11 Likes

He must have collected enough cash so he doesn’t care any more.

1 Like

He doesn’t want to have to make a sincere and forceful statement condemning an attempt at the violent overthrow of our government. He wants to maintain his credibility with his seditionist base in order to keep the grift going and to receive their continued adulation.

20 Likes

Nailed it! With the imminent demise of stop-the-steal grift, Trump is desperately looking for the next excuse to separate rubes from their coins.

17 Likes

Loser!

6 Likes

So much impeaching, you’ll get tired of impeaching

15 Likes

Are you kidding? That SS detail and the money he will make at his golf courses and hotels from the SS is not chicken feed. It adds up and he factors that in to his grift. You know, a million here a million there.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, this barely qualifies as satire in the current environment:

# Column: I took part in a pro-Trump attack on the US Capitol and now I have to face consequences? That’s tyranny!

16 Likes

I guess no one in his coterie remembers that Clinton was impeached by one Congress and then tried & acquitted by the next. History is Karma’s bitch.

7 Likes

Trump doesn’t care. Do U?

3 Likes

O/T but Sheldon Adelson is dead. Another right-wing donor gone.

27 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes