Report: McConnell Leaves Door Open To Convicting Trump Amid Ex-POTUS’ Clownish Defense

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), despite having voted on Tuesday that the impeachment trial of ex-President Donald Trump was unconstitutional, has privately indicated that he hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll convict the former president over his incitement of last month’s violent siege of the Capitol, according to Bloomberg.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1359199
1 Like

It will never happen. They are such cowards, and history will not be kind.

50 Likes

Haven’t we seen this “Lucy and the football” maneuver enough to have learned what happens next? Poor ol’ Charlie Brown …

47 Likes

the green light to vote with their conscience

That would be reassuring if they actually possessed a conscience.

62 Likes

Yeah but McConnell is a lying sack of shit

34 Likes

Mitch McConnell?? Decent human being??? Principled?? Nah, ain’t gonna happen!

18 Likes

The messaging from the Dems needs to speak hard truths. Based on the evidence, anyone voting to acquit is complicit to insurrection and has added their voice to the un-American sedition caucus.

They seek to destroy the country and all that it stands for.

37 Likes

the defense team sucked and the repubs knew it but even though a defense team member

admitted that the team had “changed what we were going to do on account that we thought that the House manager’s presentation was well done.”

Nevertheless, the only Republican senators who voted to proceed with the trial were the five who had previously sided with Democrats on declaring the proceedings to be constitutional plus Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), who switched from his previous vote against the trial.

they still were too cowardly to do what they absolutely knew was the correct and constitutional thing to do. shameless beyond words.

21 Likes

What she said

12 Likes

FIFY
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who believes the impeachment trial of ex-President Donald Trump was unconstitutional, has no intention of ever voting to impeach any Republican continues to lie to naive reporters and liberals in hopes of convince them he has an open mind.

56 Likes

I guess that we are down to making sure that it gets the correct analysis by future political historians. Those people who are researching just what happened to the Republican Party and why it ceased to exist entirely during the 2020’s decade…

12 Likes

Why is TPM carrying water for him this way?

8 Likes

Logically speaking, if you believe the proceedings are unconstitutional, then you should decline to participate, The 44 should stay away, go golfing with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, hide in a bunker, hike the Appalachian Trail, whatever and let the other 56 decide guilt or innocence.

42 Likes

I daresay that McConnell has lost control of his group.

I have to wonder, once all the evidence is presented, whether he will whip just enough Senators to vote for conviction to just get to the line, but not cross it. I believe five already have done so, so McConnell just needs 11 more - maybe among those who don’t face re-election until 2024 or 2026. It will be just enough to signal displeasure, but not convict.

8 Likes

Oh please…“privately indicated”

Oooo. It’s a secret.

What is this…gossip night with the Plastics?

16 Likes

Imagine seeing and endorsing 4+ years of Trump and being at all surprised by his defense’s performance yesterday.

I’ll believe a change of heart when it happens. There’s no reason to believe they won’t continue to suck it up and do anything to protect their new party leader.

5 Likes

And THAT, sir - is the correct answer.

9 Likes

Lets wait and see

3 Likes

Report: McConnell Privately Leaves Door Open To Convicting Trump Amid Ex-POTUS’ Clownish Defense

Until he doesn’t.

19 Likes

The campaign ads are writing themselves ________supports the insurrectionists.
I think that they all want Trump out of the picture in 22 and 24 and will let the Dems do their dirty work , either by allowing the conviction by a slim majority or supporting banning him from further office using the 14th

7 Likes