Report: Confirmation Hearing For Trump Supreme Court Nominee Expected To Begin Oct. 12 | Talking Points Memo

The Senate Judiciary Committee is likely to begin a confirmation hearing on Oct. 12 for President Donald Trump’s pick to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, according to reports by Politico and The Hill.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334549

14 Likes

Voting on it on October 26th.

MoscowMitch really doesn’t care about holding the majority, I see. His vulnerable folks will be pissed about this, leaves them no time to do crucial campaigning back home.

22 Likes

Democrats should boycott the sham hearing. One should show up, play a recording of the interview where Trump’s pick says it’s improper to replace a justice in an election year when it changes the ideological balance and read a statement confirming her nomination is a joke and an insult to the American people who are literally voting RIGHT NOW.

The senator then should leave.

12 Likes

It’ll be a kangaroo court.

With real kangaroos.

6 Likes

I wish Moscow Mitch and all GOP senators the very worst. They are the reason Trump is here and wrecking our country.

17 Likes

Look at the bright side. This could help kill Graham’s campaign.

22 Likes

He might care but knows chances are poor so might as well fire up his base in KY and stick it to the libs.

ETA: This in effect is Trump’s “October Surprise” and, if Democrats aren’t careful, the hearings could suck the oxygen out of the news cycle right up to November and not in a good way. JMO

8 Likes

When Miss Lindsey announced he is ignoring all his “promises” to not do exactly what he is doing here, I contributed twice to his opponent.

14 Likes

Suggested edit…

5 Likes

Will she be approved? The suspense is killing me!

7 Likes

And then they’ll vote to confirm her on October 13, end of story.

I HIGHLY doubt that an actual HEARING will take place.

Leningrad Linsey will simply ask for a voice vote to rush it through committee and immediately move it to the floor, where Moscow Mitch will ask for a Voice Vote and pass the nomination by acclimation.

Bam. Done. No chance for any Democrat to even speak.

8 Likes

Authoritarian regimes always hold sham hearings to confer a patina of legitimacy on their preordained decisions.

3 Likes

Saw Elie this morning giving this description of Barret.

10 Likes

I want this to kill McConnell’s but it won’t.

8 Likes

I believe the proper term would be Fascist Court.

1 Like

So who is playing Don McGhan’s old role of sheparding the SC nominee through the process?

This guy:

5 Likes

It’s really dumb on their part to do this…it makes the hypocrisy look worse, it makes Republicans appear to care more about rushing a judge through to manipulate the judicial system than pass a bill to help poor people (which is true, it just makes it obvious), and it twists the system so every complaint Democrats make about Republicans cheating and breaking our democracy is confirmed. It’s about the worst thing the Republicans could do for themselves, especially if they want to have some possibility of divorcing themselves from Trump, and in the end all it’s going to do is enrage people and give Democrats cover when they gain control, as they can point to things like this and say “our democracy needs to be fixed” and do whatever they want. Doing it before the election is a big “fuck you” to everyone outside their base, and a message that they think they can continue to do what they want regardless of any electoral consequences…time to make them pay at the ballot box.

As for the hearings…if the Democrats are smart they will give their best people the ball to question Barrett, and have the list of questions ready to go so everyone is on the same page. Expose her extreme positions, and when she tries to backpedal and dodge hit her hard with the things she has said, written, and done in the past. Make it absolutely clear that she’s not a mainstream judge, that she’s a right wing hack, and that Republicans are forcing her onto the nation because they want to change the legal system so justice has a Republican bent. Make it forceful, make it simple and clear, and the average American will understand it.

It’s a show hearing, everyone should know that, so Democrats need to make it a real show, pin Barrett down and make it clear she’s not qualified, and hold Republicans accountable for their choice. If they do it well, they may just take out Graham, especially if he tries more histrionics when things are going badly for Barrett. No mercy, no gentle treatment…even if Barrett was just fine the Democrats still need to attack the process and lawless power grab by Republicans and show the American people what the consequence is going to be if they keep power.

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available