Report: Caputo Receives Metastatic Cancer Diagnosis | Talking Points Memo

‘Sound’? I don’t believe you have the capacity to detect that amount of nuance via text.
Conclusion? Trolling for conflict.

4.33 out of 5

I am in the camp of short, really painful, hopefully spreads everywhere. He needs to die before he can cast a vote. And oh, I hope he gets Covid-19 while on treatment, and that Covid-19 is what kills him.

And oh, I hope the covid-19 infects the people around him.

I am at old testament vengeful god stage…

1 Like

Not suggesting in the slightest that gloating is morally superior. It isn’t. What I will insist is that it is an understandable reaction given this man’s crimes.

One of the suggestions made by those who support capital punishment is that there is a moral need for retribution. It is hard to imagine what is the appropriate treatment for someone who has participated – as this man has – in the destruction of 10,000s of thousands of lives in terms of retribution. The lack of sympathy for this man reflects this.

There is something about the human make up which responds more strongly to individual murders than to the adoption of practices which forseeably and in practice lead to the deaths of thousands. If Trump had strangled a single individual with his bare hands, he’d be out. But since his policies are killing thousands the revulsion is much more muted. This dual standard is morally absurd. Not accusing you of having such a standard …indeed your insistence that all human beings have value is part of how adoption of policies which lead to deaths are prevented.

1 Like

Nice post ! One question though , what’s a boofer ?

Busy doing absolutey nothing but keeping his meme alive. Fear of death is his best PR.

He’ll never get to heaven if he doesn’t die.
There are 7.8 billion stories on planet Earth. This has been one of them.

I don’t know if it figured into his bizarre rant, but it’s pretty grim.

So was his ranting.
Caputo deserves all the compassion that he extended to all the Covid-19 victims who suffered and died since the end of February.

1 Like

It is something that Bart Kavanaugh the conservative serial rapist on the Supreme Court did.

This is not the “other side”; a left Twix, right Twix situation. These are traitors to this country intent on destroying it as any form of a Democracy founded on the ideas of the Enlightenment. They want us back to Plantations, Authoritarian kings, and dictators. Fuck them all. I’ll take good news when I see it and smile. This is good news. :smiley::+1:

Apparently because these moronic assholes have decided that the best plan is to pretend like nothing is happening, send the workers back to mines, and let herd immunity handle it. So probably 6 million more Americans will need to die if not more.

1 Like

I understand it. I’m not even condemning it all that strongly. I’ve listed examples where I did it or potentially would. I just think generally it’s kind of tacky and not to your credit.

2 Likes

Jesus. I remember Roger Ebert’s face in the end. Horrible. Or the Ambrose Bierce story “Chickamauga.” And again, I just don’t see the humor in it. Some sort of flaw in myself I suppose.

1 Like

This country fails almost completely on providing money in those areas while continuing to jack up health insurance premiums and letting, or even encouraging, hospitals and other treatment centers to charge whatever they want.

And don’t call a 911 ambulance if you can walk, take a bus or drive there. The ride will cost you $2000.-plus.

1 Like

Amish Burning Man.

1 Like

I was wondering. Because I don’t recall hearing all sorts of tearful sadness around me when Jesse Anderson and Jeffrey Dahmer were killed. I thought maybe I was surrounded by monsters in my younger days.

So…yeah, fuck Caputo. I hope it hurts.

Back in the Middle Ages, it was believed that one of the rewards of heaven was watching the suffering of the damned.
At least, at the end of Aquinas’ Summa Theologica he writes that

Wherefore in order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned.
https://ccel.org/ccel/aquinas/summa/summa.

And some posts here remind me of this quote.

A 20th century thought, from the Lord of the Rings

“Frodo: ‘It’s a pity Bilbo didn’t kill Gollum when he had the chance.’
Gandalf: 'Pity? It’s a pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Yes, I’m comparing Caputo to Gollum.

In addition, the natural urge for revenge and rejoicing when it comes with the pains of torture is something the 8th Amendment of the Bill of Rights guards against.

1 Like

Need to change your user name to Pollyanna. :wink:

Ha!

You know, of course, that I was being facetious. Right?

Not that I have anything against Pollyanna.

Point made - it is like the boy who cried wolf - lie so much there is no one will believe anything you say.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available