Records Show Trump’s Border Wall Is Costing Taxpayers Billions More Than Initial Contracts | Talking Points Memo

This article first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340800

It’s Trumps pals that are building it. Of course they are going to overcharge. Kushner or the Trump spawns are probably getting a kickback.

6 Likes

File under “least surprising news today.”

But hey, it caused people to vote for him.

Suckers.

4 Likes

Wrong! Fake news! Mexico is paying!

1 Like

Gee, now who in the world could possibly have expected spiraling corruption from Satan’s Avatar?
After all, these must be trivial cost overruns on no-bid contracts. Right?
Wrong.
It’s the grifting of America.

Mexico is paying for the wall just like China pays for the tariffs we impose on Chinese imports.
They don’t pay. We do. That’s reality.
Tariffs are a tax that the importer pays and passes on to the consumer. We The People.
We’re paying for the wall due to the rerouting of federal monies financed by the taxpayer.

7 Likes

This fiasco is going to take an army of forensic accountants to sort out but it needs to be done. The administrators and companies responsible for these overruns need to be prosecuted and forced to pay back overcharges and hopefully get some jail time.

7 Likes

I’m looking for my shocked face. Can’t find it. Guess I wore it out.

6 Likes

Nice photo showing a few of the cacti. Evidently, hundreds of endangered saguaro and pipe organ (Pilosocereus) cacti – right in the middle of the Pipe Organ Cactus National Monument – were uprooted and left to die.

4 Likes

Precisely. Alexander Hamilton refers to this in one of the Federalist Papers. He advocates tariffs on imported luxury goods as a fair and efficient way to tax the public. Only those with sufficient wealth to buy abroad would be affected, and they could choose not to by simply “Buying American.”

That tariffs are a tax on the end consumer, not the nation of origin, was obvious back in the 1700s. Either Trump hasn’t advanced that far, or he assumes We the People are chumps. Or both.

4 Likes

Welp, when it keeps falling over, that could run costs up.

3 Likes

Is part of the money the cost of all the lawsuits down there over taking homesteads?

Well duh.

2 Likes

Satan’s Avatar knows. The Fart of the Lies chooses to lie. He also knows his legions of willfully ignorant morons are stooopid enough to believe him. Truth is a welcome casualty.

1 Like

The grift is in.

The grift was always in on the Wall - it’s one big boondoggle.

5 Likes

Records Show Trump’s Border Wall Is Costing Taxpayers

He’s also been charging us $3 per glass of water.

And we’ve been paying him.

3 Likes

I remember when they widened US85 between Buckeye and Gila Bend (Arizona). The contractors moved every saguaro in its path and relocated them about 30 yards off the road, the larger ones propped up with supports.

It was a beautiful thing.

3 Likes

With people like the Trumps, I think you have to pace yourself.

And help get them voted out!

1 Like

Ah but what you do not know is that Mexico will pay for it all! With interest! Promises made, promises kept!

2 Likes

Who’da thunk we could keep Latin Americans out with pork.
And if we can’t keep them out, it’d seem there’s still plenty of fat to go around

Got a feeling everything Trump’s ever done has cost more than he estimated. I’m hoping this presidency is really going to cost him. It’s already cost the US way too much and it ain’t over yet!

2 Likes