READ: Senate Intel Releases First Volume Of Russia Probe Report | Talking Points Memo

Two years after the Department of Homeland of Security revealed that 21 states were cyber-targeted by Russia, the federal government has released its first account detailing what those hacking attempts looked like.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1238104

“The account comes in the form of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report on election security, the first volume of the panel’s Russia report.”

And after the GOP Senate shot down election security legislation twice in 24 hours. I guess the report says all is well and don’t you worry that you have no paper receipt because those voting machines weren’t hacked or just plain rigged to give Trump your votes, we promise.

43 Likes

And the trump campaign actively engaged Russian efforts

Nothing impeachable here

22 Likes

Recommendations? Huh. If only there was a bill already passed by the House the Senate could vote on to address some of their concerns.

48 Likes

MSM: No optics? Losers! What a waste of time! We won’t report on this!

13 Likes

So this report uber-exonerates Dotard?

11 Likes

and…what will McConnell allow anyone to do about preventing future attacks on our democracy?

14 Likes

Not a fucking thing?

20 Likes

Which state is “State 6” and why the FUCK are they treating them anonymously? Was it OH or PA? I trust “state officials” to react accordingly in a state with a GOP legislature about as far as I can piss up a wall with no hands.

29 Likes

So all 50 states were targeted, 21 successfully, but we have no right to know which ones…

Clearly, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida are on that list.

The big folk know that we’ve got an illegal president.

47 Likes

Well, they’ve looked into it, nothing more to worry about. I feel a lot better now…

11 Likes

If Vladimir Putin ordered GRU and SVR to infiltrate US elections systems, do we really think he would’ve done so if he didn’t feel like he had a reasonable chance to succeed at achieving the holy grail of altering vote totals? If he did succeed, how would we know? Do we even have the tools to make this assessment?

41 Likes

“While the Committee does not know with confidence what Moscow’s intentions
were,”

VERY FIRST THING THEY SAY IS A WHITEWASH.

Except we do know what Moscow’s intentions were. The intelligence community and Mueller have told us very very VERY clearly that the intention was to help Trump get elected. It’s not fucking debatable.

39 Likes

Imagine that, a US Senate report on Russian active measures in the 2016 election that has zero references to ‘Trump’.

23 Likes

Remember when the Repubs used to paint the Dems as sympathetic to the Ruskies, wearers of pink underwear, in bed with the Communists, and unpatriotic?

18 Likes

“Aging voting equipment…”

Yeah, so we better buck up and buy some new ones from the company that the Trumps are deeply invested in, right?

11 Likes

I am not a conspiracy type… but you would have to go a long way to tell me that experienced Russian hackers couldn’t penetrate the election infrastructure of the states. How credible is that?

14 Likes

Interesting read on the Recommendations P54 onwards…

We need the federal AND state government to be very pro-active about cyber attacks/espionage/sabotage to keep the integrity of our election system, and for that we need more security funding and more security enforcement guidelines/transparency/accountability!
More important, we need to have PAPER BALLOTS!

McConnell who is NOT allowing a vote on election security funding is clearly DERELICT of DUTY and is violating his oath of office to support/defend the USC against all enemies, foreign and domesticand to faithfully discharge the duties of the office!

Going forward, it is critical for Ds/Is to win more seats in the Senate.

22 Likes

The use of “Russian” and “Trump” in the same report would be considered redundant.

They’re now wholly interchangeable…

16 Likes
  1. GOPers have always hated communism. When Russia was communist, GOPers hated Russia.
  2. GOPers have always loved authoritarianism. Now that Russia is authoritarian, GOPers love Russia.
14 Likes