READ: Judge Told He Should Sentence Flynn, Deny Request To Dismiss Case | Talking Points Memo

If you launch canisters at people that make them have a coughing fit, you get what you get.

Word. It is sweet to watch these criminals get theirs, especially at a point when they are already down and struggling. That is when Karma is at itā€™s best.

Heā€™ll be ā€˜Epsteinedā€™.

2 Likes

Nope, pardons are involuntary. There is no ā€œacceptā€. Now, applying for a pardon via the usual DoJ route does require acknowlegement of guilt, but thatā€™s not going to happen here.

2 Likes

That grievance is much broader than asking which graduates should be on the Court.

It might be nice to have a truly egalitarian society where everyone always counts the same and even qualifications donā€™t matter ā€“ but be careful what you wish for!

Ā 

You keep asserting this but whereā€™s the actual argument?

As Glickman points out, simply nominating people because they did well at other reputable schools isnā€™t going to do much.

Iā€™ve already said what I think: If youā€™re really looking for ā€œdiversity of personal experience,ā€ there are direct and meaningful ways to go about it. You can dismiss those as ā€¦

but Iā€™d suggest that you can see the importance if you look ā€“ including at whatā€™s happening on American streets as we speak.

Thatā€™s probably right ā€¦ and thatā€™s exactly why he was the correct selection.

Gleeson was not selected to be an impartial referee ā€“ thatā€™s Sullivanā€™s job.

He was chosen to represent the ā€œanti-dismissalā€ point of view abandoned by the government. The right thing to do in that circumstance was to chose someone who opposes the dismissal. Who better to do the job properly?

2 Likes

No question.

And not a problem: Team Trump is there to ā€œargueā€ the other side.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not asserting anything. Thatā€™s simple fact.

Well, just substituting one person from Yale for a different person from Yale only means that you got a different version of the same education product, the same lines of thinking, the same approaches.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve seen plenty of stuff about diversity in the business world. And itā€™s not just race or gender, itā€™s diversity of background and therefore thoughts.

Breaks things out of the mold of ā€œwe do this because this is the way weā€™ve always done itā€, or ā€œwe only consider these options because weā€™re not even aware of anything elseā€.

3 Likes

He can also plead the 5th to avoid the alleged perjury trap that the most recent question represents. Over and over again. Pardons eliminating 5th amendment protections is one of those pernicious myths. The six pardons in the Iran-Contra coverup stopped the investigation cold.

7 Likes

The following is an assertion, not a fact:

that says that thereā€™s something wrong with the whole damned process.

Not everyone agrees, you see ā€“ and especially not with any proposed ā€œsolution.ā€

But now Iā€™ve got to run.

Have a great rest-of-the-day!

and he has to do it AFTER he annointed himself the ā€œLaw and Order Presidentā€

1 Like

Iā€™m still of the opinion that we fucked up when we wouldnā€™t let W put Harriet Meirs on the SCOTUS.

Not brilliant by any standard but also I believe, not mean.

3 Likes

But she wasnā€™t actually qualified. She was just not monstrous.

He can be tried for anything he didnā€™t plead guilty to, but his (and manafortā€™s and stoneā€™s) pardon will almost certainly be nixonian blanket pardons, covering all federal crimes committed in a date range.

Thereā€™s always state criminal liability, though itā€™s a little hard to figure Flynnā€™s liability there. Maybe in Pennsylvania for conspiracy to kidnap Gulen and render him to Turkey?

2 Likes

Qualifications for jobs like that are over-rated.

All those fancy degrees, and we can still predict almost every major case outcome with 100% accuracy.

If the degrees made a difference, the 5 republicans would spend a lot more time voting on the other side.

1 Like

Beats what we got instead all to hell.

5 Likes

I donā€™t disagree, but I think it would still be a mistake to remove it as a major consideration. If you did remove it, all it would do is allow a wider variety of awful people to be considered for the position. I donā€™t think it would result in the groups who nominated Alito and Kav to nominate anyone better. And Iā€™m not sure the SC is a place where you really want much surprise.

2 Likes

fair enough. But itā€™s an ends and means thing right?

No I donā€™t see how that is an ends and means thing.

Usually what that entails is some sort of immoral, unethical action in furtherance of some proposed future outcome.

Like torturing a terrorist because it will result in information that will save lives.

I donā€™t see how Harriet Meirsā€™ appointment would have risen to the kind of means that is meant there.

2 Likes

I guess I was thinking of it in terms of getting a result that you liked disregarding what you had to do to get there.

My implicit assumption was that requiring qualification was a ā€˜goodā€™. (which I can certainly see being argued against).

1 Like