READ: House Asks FBI To Probe Parler Role In Capitol Insurrection | Talking Points Memo

A House Democrat is asking that the FBI open an investigation into the role of Parler in stoking the Capitol insurrection.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355952

I told all y’all this would happen.
Deep state conspiracy.

5 Likes

Rep Nunes is the first Congress critter I heard was urging everyone to jump into the Parler party pool.

21 Likes

tenor - 2021-01-06T114258.249

9 Likes

The site has received support from the Mercer family, who also backed Trump’s 2016 candidacy.

Two words: Cambridge Analytica

27 Likes

So…this is Wray’s test.

22 Likes

Why limit it to Parler? It was hardly the only platform where the insurrectionists came together for that purpose. If Parler bears any responsibility, so does Facebook.

ETA: One possible answer to that question is if the congresscritters think there was any coordination by people on the inside at Parler with the insurrectionists on the outside. That seems rather more likely with Parler than you would expect with Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

24 Likes

Pee in the Parler pool

9 Likes

I would sure hope that the FBI doesn’t need a request from a member of the House to look into Parler. It should already be part of the current FBI investigations, just one of several platforms used to plan the attack on the Capitol. This seems a bit like grandstanding to me.

4 Likes

“Maloney also raised the prospect of whether Parler was serving as a vehicle for foreign infiltration of far-right movements in the U.S.; a concern shared by security researchers monitoring what could be a budding pro-Trump insurgency.”

But, of course, Bill Barr will just block this from…oh, yeah…never mind.

(And while we’re investigating “foreign infiltration”, let’s conduct a thorough investigation not just of Cruz and Hawley, but also of those eight Republican lawmakers who spent July 4 sitting around a table in the Kremlin with Putin – using a proctoscope, if necessary, to get to the…er…bottom of things.)

30 Likes

One of them, anyway.

17 Likes

Elections (especially in Georgia! especially when quarterbacked by STACEY ABRAMS!) have consequences, you GOP motherfuckers.

9 Likes

Rebekah Mercer is the principal funding source for Parler.

18 Likes

Also this statement that Parler has partly returned might be misleading:

Since then, Parler has partly returned with help from DDoS-Guard, a Russian technology firm that told TPM on Monday that it had agreed to provide protection for the website.

DDoS-Guard is just a protection from denial of service attacks, it’s not an actual cloud platform host like AWS. Last I heard, there is just a single announcement web page up for Parler, and the owner hasn’t found a new social media platform host yet. It won’t be easy, and you don’t just code something equivalent to AWS or the other major cloud hosts from scratch.

In other words, Parler isn’t “back” in any meaningful sense, unless there have been more recent developments.

19 Likes

Parler was hacked before it went down. Everything had been archived. There is so much info and video there it won’t be hard to find what they need to convict numerous civilians and maybe even a few public figures.

This should be interesting. Has Rand chimed in yet?

7 Likes

Nope. The FBI cannot just decide to surveil Americans. They must receive reputable tips, etc.

They were only involved in the plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer because an insider flipped on the terrorists and reported them to the FBI.

13 Likes

Exactly.

The Mercer’s are neck deep in this particular swamp.

9 Likes

Fucking narc. Nobody likes a snitch.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t this be subject to the same section 230 protections that the rwnj’s were trying to strip tech companies of with the last COVID relief bill?

Parler wasn’t hacked. It was copied. Linux shell-scripts and “curl” are your friend.

17 Likes