Professor’s Boss Defends Him After ‘Bedbugs’ Tweet To NYT Writer

A tweet about “bedbugs” won’t harm George Washington University professor Dave Karpf’s job, despite a New York Times columnist’s effort to let school officials know one of their professors wasn’t nice to him on Twitter.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1244991
1 Like

I’d read that Stephens has a habit of calling college students “Snowflakes.” If so, pretty ironic that he gets bent out of shape being likened to a bedbug. Well, not ironic, but typical actually, for right-wingers. They can’t take a tenth of what they dish out.

42 Likes

I like this Professor, even though I never thought before that the subject that he is a professor of - Communications or something like that - should be a thing at an academic institution.

NYT should take some action if it thinks that it has any reputation that needs defending.

2 Likes

I don’t think Bret Stephens realizes when you accept a job writing for the editorial page of the NYT, you’re a public figure, subject to questioning, pushback, and even insults. One might say it comes with the territory. He did himself no favors here with his over sensitive, overwrought response. Who invites a complete stranger from Twitter to their home to meet their family just to prove a point?

Good on GW for backing their professor.

44 Likes

Do snowflakes get bedbugs? Because if not, Stephens is safe.

18 Likes

I would think that a writer would know what a metaphor is.

18 Likes

Oh, I wish Stephens would come to GW. Would love to see all the bedbug and snowflake costumes!

21 Likes

Maybe he’s not a bedbug, maybe he’s a shoe?

5 Likes

he wasn’t aiming to get Karpf in trouble when he copied the school’s provost on an email

“I always CC the employers of everyone I correspond with. It’s just who I am,” Stephens added.

38 Likes

Sure,on the surface, you’d think this is just fcking stupid. But when you dig deep, and REEEALLY think about it, you realize that this is just fcking stupid.

25 Likes

Incoming: Faux News and the rest ranting about liberal university indoctrination centers who shut down conservative speech hypocritically defending professor who “threatened” Bedbugs.

18 Likes

His intention in writing an email that is tiled ‘From Brett Stephens, New York Times’ is to intimate me from making jokes about him on the internet because he thinks, apparently, that being at the New York Times should shield him from criticism,” he said.

Sulzberger would appear to agree with the good prof.

Brett Stephens is quite simply an entitled, pseudo-intellectual, pissant little punk with advanced snowflakery.

38 Likes

He should sue Stephens for tampering with his contract. Very serious offense.

11 Likes

There were only 9 people who knew about this tweet before Mr Bret (Bedbug) Stephens made this a national issue.

Now his children will be teased at school and everyone knows Bret’s nickname.

Fool.

34 Likes

Or maybe he’s a “chou” as in “ma pauvre petite chou”.

6 Likes

Bedbugs are made of far stronger stuff than Bret Stephens.

41 Likes

“…“set a new standard” for uncivilized Twitter discourse.” Stephens hasn’t been very observant for the past few decades, has he? If a New York Times reporter thinks this was “out there”, he needs to climb out of whatever bubble he’s currently residing in.

12 Likes

Nothing elevates the discourse like a say it to my face taunt.

15 Likes

Par for the course for Conservatives. They don’t understand humor or satire.

10 Likes

Well, Stephens may ostensibly be a never-Drumpfer, but he sure is a modern Republican: a thin skinned snowflake who is perpetually a victim. It’s trite but true: they can dish it out but they sure can’t take it.

26 Likes