Portman Gripes Over Pelosi’s Plans On Taking Up Infrastructure Proposals | Talking Points Memo

Sen, Rob Portman (R-OH), who is helping to negotiate the bipartisan infrastructure proposal, on Sunday took aim at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) commitment to not bring the bipartisan infrastructure proposal to the floor until the reconciliation package is ready for a vote.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1382259
1 Like

I’m not too sure I give a shit what a republican senator from one of the most corrupt states has to say about what the Speaker of the House proposes.

He is not running again in 2022 so it’s sad he actually won’t become a statesman in his final year.

I sincerely doubt Nancy gives a shit, either.

52 Likes

Portman is nothing more than a supremely unserious flack. Trump’s plan was for 1.5 Trillion? That means nothing since he didn’t actually have a funding mechanism or actually spend any political capital to promote it, and so of course it was never passed. It was just a vague “infrastructure week” permanently stuck in the future.

29 Likes

Wow, two Republican do-nothing, soon to retire flacks whining about the infrastructure proposal and House 1/6 investigations on Sunday. We all understand both of you are worthless and hopefully be replaced by Dems in 2022 so stop wasting your breath.

24 Likes

Republicans really don’t like (or understand) that they aren’t in control of the agenda…

(Of course it would be nice if Manchin and some other recalcitrant Democrats would actually act like President Biden & their party ARE in control of the agenda.)

21 Likes

It’s been a week to remember for the Speaker. After making McCarthy et al squeal like whiny pigs, she’s reached into the Senate to do it to Portman. They just can’t handle not having power and being told no.

27 Likes

Portman’s comments about rejecting the bill if Pelosi links it to the reconciliation package (as she will) sounds like he’s looking for a scapegoat to blame when he rejects both bills.
Which, to my mind, is much more likely than not.
ETA: The reactionaries might as well say, ‘None of this would happen if we were running the Senate.’
Which is true in every possible way.

20 Likes

Talking about infrastructure is one thing, taking bread out of the mouths of put upon billionaires is quite another. Where are the tax “incentives” for the wealthy industrialists who built this country?

16 Likes

State & local folks seem ready to help with that grift… remember Foxconn’s promises that Hair Furor was gushing over or the unseemly battle over Amazon HQ 2?

10 Likes

Toomey thinks debate is critical but votes against beginning debate. Portman wants a bipartisan bill but will vote against it unless Republicans get their way on a separate issue. And McConnell will kill the bipartisan bill unless it can be paid for without taxing the “job creators” or raising the debt ceiling. It’s a good thing the GOP is a populist party and has the best interests of the people at its core.

24 Likes

OT: This is a compelling watch. Bernstein calls Trump a “war criminal” and makes a strong case.

21 Likes

Some people can’t stand powerful, fearless women.

I adore them!

21 Likes

This will merely establish my immaturity, but still, this is all I’ve got: " Fuck you, Rob!"

8 Likes

I’m watching Japan vs Mexico in Olympic soccer. Mex is down 2-0. The outlandish way the Mexican players act to have a foul called against the other team is world class. The falling and knee clutching is Oscar worthy.

The Mexican antics and outrage are almost as impressive as Republican fake outrage when they fail.

14 Likes

If Rob Fu*cking Portman REALLY believes in “bipartisanship,” he would round up a bunch of his fellow Republicans to vote to raise the debt limit, rather than allowing McConnell to hold it hostage.

Both parties have implemented policies that have resulted in budget deficits, so both parties take responsibility for the necessary borrowing that is the result.

15 Likes

When most Republicans pontificate now, for me it is like listening to the adults in a Charlie Brown special. Wa, wa, wa, wa, wawa, wawa.

13 Likes

Took the link to listen to this finally. Wow. He says it all.

“Scale and scope we have never experienced”

More of this. It needs to be said.

11 Likes

About fucking time someone with a platform folks listen to spoke the truth for once. trump committed sedition in front of all of us and on video on 1/6/21 on the Ellipse so it’s not like we would hafta dig for evidence… He told people to go the the Capitol and “fight like hell”. Now he says they were peaceful and loving and the cops let’em in all happy and unicorns… Denial of reality is an illness I think.
… … …
And Portman is a Goober’s Goober…
… … …
“Appearing on ABC News, Portman said he’s “not happy” with Pelosi’s plan.”
… … …
Of course a Goober is paid big bucks to be unhappy with anything a democrat offers.

17 Likes

RETIRE!

GO QUIETLY INTO THE GOOD NIGHT.

also discobot sucks.

5 Likes

I think they did spend $1.5 T on the t-shirts, you know different colors every time he brought it up.

10 Likes