Pompeo Distances Himself From Mulvaney’s Shocking Admission Of Quid Pro Quo

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that he “never saw” quid pro quo as a factor in the Trump administration’s decision to freeze aid to Ukraine, despite acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney’s confirmation that it was.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1256822

“George, I never saw that in the decision-making process that I was a part of, the decision surrounding whether there should be Department of Defense assistance, as well as some State Department assistance, provided to push back against Russia,” Pompeo said on Sunday.

Of course. Pay no attention to Trump saying he wanted a favor in that call where you were listening in.

61 Likes

Perfectly Believable.

That’s why he doesn’t want anyone other than himself to talk to Congress.

25 Likes

This bus that Trump thinks he owns is not an Express, it has many stops which Trump cannot control.

18 Likes

“Pompeo said on Sunday that he ‘never saw’ quid pro quo as a factor in the Trump administration’s decision to freeze aid to Ukraine…”

Curly: “I can’t see! I can’t see!”

Moe: “What’sa matta?”

Curly: “I got my eyes closed.”

60 Likes

You know, it’s not just the corruption. It’s also the chaos. I can’t think of an advanced nation in the postwar era that had an administration this fragmented and rudderless. I think you could point to literally any self-sustaining enterprise and it would ipso facto be better run than this barn fire.

59 Likes

Just a dreadful appearance by Pompeo. Here’s the thing, Pompeo doesn’t appear to have been that involved in the execution and planning of the UKR conspiracy but he acquiesced to it and to the cover up. The time for him to resign is now, so that he can stop committing potential acts of obstruction and can come clean to Congress.

59 Likes

The circular firing squad is getting better established every day.

Keep trying, Pompeo. You and your co-conspirators just bury yourselves deeper every time you open your mouths.

29 Likes

He straight up lied to Martha Raddatz about a month ago. He was on the phone call, covered it up, and is now defending POTUS’ decision making while throwing Mulvaney under an entire fleet of buses.

44 Likes

He doesn’t want to talk to Congress either. That’s why he’s inventing new non-existent “privileges” to try to keep from having to answer any questions about anything.

24 Likes

I wish George would have pressed him on how he won’t respond to hypotheticals. This isn’t a hypothetical. Those were Mulvaney’s actual words that flowed from his own mouth in front of many people. How is that a hypothetical?

33 Likes

He did sort of:

35 Likes

Pompeo, Giuliani, Barr, Pence, Mulvaney, etc…

All have been around a man who has paid very little consequences for lying. The slow, deliberate character of the Justice System, along with FOX never-ending pro-Trump propaganda and Moscow McConnell seeding the Judiciary with RWNJ Judges, has allowed these men to believe that they, too, can escape accountability.

That was the thing which came to my mind when McGahn rolled the dice Trump’s way and refused to do what John Dean did.

42 Likes

He pointedly refused to discuss his conversations with Guliani in his interview in Nashville by Nancy Amons. A huge red flag.

23 Likes

He did. Lying to the public can be a crime of obstruction if there is an ongoing investigation. If he resigns now and tells the truth that he was on such calls but he didn’t participate in the execution but acquiesced to Giuliani and gave him whatever he wanted, that would at least be truthful and it might help him escape a charge later on.

26 Likes

You are absolutely right. I stand corrected.

8 Likes

He’s trying to keep the buses from coming his way.

8 Likes

Someone should ask him if he’s the right man for the job at State when his diplomats are openly defying his orders not to testify to Congress, morale is at an all time low, and that his diplomats have no confidence in him.

Working on behalf of an audience of one is not the job.

37 Likes

Hence the old saying about “no honor among thieves”.

15 Likes

“I never saw that …”

Yet another one of Trump’s stooges channels his inner “Sergeant Schultz”.

10 Likes