Politics In America Has Changed And We Need A New Way To Talk About It | Talking Points Memo

The change was inevitable. I’m surprised it took this long. It’s not about race or region. Let me explain. I was about 27 when I first began living in the USA. The place was Oklahoma. It didn’t take long for me to see what a huge number of provincial uneducated folks lived in America. Lazyboy snoozing, digiorno pizza eating rubes that spent a half years income on “duelies” for the F250 at the expense of their kids teeth. Nobody dead enders. Then along came Nixon and Reagan to round them up. They gave them states rights and the Second Amendment to obsess on. Sarah Palin called them real Americans. GW Bush said they were heartlanders. And they didn’t have to do shit to merit that. Didn’t have to brush their teeth, clean the floorboards of their pickups or mow the yard. Just be a Republican and now they are somebody. A patriot. To be a real American all you need do is find a cool bald eagle with waiving flag in the background avatar and go after the libs on the internet. “they just want”…

Like being an evangelical or a biker. All you have to do is decide that’s what you want to be and voila! No work, no special skills or talent required. Just buy a bible or a Levi jacket or in the case of the rube GOP’er a stars and stripes tee shirt. And now you are somebody. I can’t believe it took so long to round the rednecks up.

1 Like

No, this is wrong. We tried to do exactly that for many many years. They literally do not care about the harm they cause, as long as they are harming the “right” people. Your mindset, and the mindset reflected in this astounding waste of electrons masquerading as analysis, is about 30 years out of date and, given the current stakes, incredibly dangerous to hew to.

1 Like

I have found myself moved by [my Republican colleagues’] willingness to fight their own party,

And yet, huge majorities of Republicans approve of the Trump presidency: https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3643

So, I would call this quote at best anecdotal, and in no real way a reflection of any movement towards moderation in the Republican rank and file. The reality is that Republican voters tend to like Trump, not despite but because of his flaws, as do the Republican politicians these people vote into office.

So, let’s forego the bothsiderisms, and get to the root of the problem: today’s GOP is predominantly a white-supremacist, authoritarian organization. They’ve been this way since Nixon’s Southern Strategy. Trump just made it cool to be open about it.

2 Likes

Right on playit! And here I thought you were just a frivolous punster.

1 Like

And now we know what 111 does for a living.

Yep, I was off yesterday. One of my favorite holidays of the year. The kiddo and the wife had to work / school… I got to have the day to myself. That doesn’t happen very often.

It’s a little late for this. The Republican party, by virtue of manipulation of religious institutions, and by capitalizing on fear of black equality has successfully coopted our democracy. They rule the Senate and the White house, despite having far less than a majority.

Our democracy is over. A constitutional convention, based on the rules in the constitution, can’t save it.

Also, umm, at this point, being a republican means support for the anti-christ. Sorry, these people aren’t good people. I am open to forgiveness, but I won’t call the people cheering the abuse of Hispanic migrant children good. They are not.

2 Likes

Sorry, nothing is more important than getting rid of a criminal, incompetent POTUS.

I can see the ways that President Obama — struggling with a Republican Senate that wouldn’t work with him — laid the groundwork for some of the abuses that we’re seeing under President Trump on appointments and executive orders.

This is where you lost me. Every administration issues executive orders, which are limited in their scope. Republicans chose to clutch their pearls about Barack Obama’s executive orders. They also whined about his appointment of too many people with the title “czar”. But the Obama administration faithfully complied with subpoenas from Congress. Barack Obama everyday conducted himself in a manner that spoke to our common dreams and desires and democratic traditions. And Obama enjoyed a relatively stable and scandal-free cabinet for his eight years.

Aditi, please don’t blame our current authoritarian breakdown on Barack Obama. And Josh, please seek out writers with a more substantial and honest perspective.

1 Like

If much of the problem relates to the “big sort” – and I think it does – then one of the things we need is a real focus on getting people together across those lines, at scale. The only way I can think of to do that is with a massive voluntary national service program.

(And yes, most Democrats would support that, while Republicans have done all they can to destroy the national service programs that already exist, like Americorps.)

1 Like

That is simply not true. We all value the Constitution of the United States, even if we fervently disagree how it should be interpreted and implemented. If you are willing to trash the Constitution and go outside of regular Constitutional order, then yes you are right, America no longer has any fundamental values.

The author raises some very valid points, which the superficial and non-thinking only dismiss at their peril. Whether or not we want as a nation to give up Constitutional principles and the notion of democracy itself to “get what we want” has become the burning issue in American politics, no matter what side of any issue one cares to debate. It is implicit in the conundrum we as humans face in settling our affairs with one another.

My sense is that while we do still have a Constitutional order, but under Trump, who feels he can violate his oath of office to suit his whim, it is fragile. It is fragile not only because of Trump, but because there are now many fault lines among the various factions of so many undecided and perhaps undecidable issues that face us as a nation. People want to hold on to their beliefs even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. While this is quite typical of human nature, it also poses a great danger to all of us in that failure to address some kinds of problems, such as wanton destruction of marine ecosystems upon which 50% of all human protein derives or such as human induced climate change will manifest themselves whether or not we find choose to disagree.

Another fundamental problem with our Constitutional system is the Constitutional system itself. It is a document written largely within a 18th century mindset. In the 21st century there are now issues that our Constitution was never designed to address and consequently provides little guidance or help in resolving these issues. It also brings with it the many inherent structural biases that are of a historical nature, but which make solutions to 21st century problems virtually impossible to solve in the context of a well-functioning democracy. Although amendments have kept us afloat as a nation, they are extremely difficult to achieve. In our currently highly polarized political environment perhaps virtually impossible.

We have also entered into a world when the distinction between foreign and domestic interests have blurred. With the rise of multinational corporations and our president now openly seeking to involve foreign governments in our national elections, the bulkhead envisioned by our founding fathers against foreign influence in our politics has been breached. Whether it can be patched before it sinks our ship of state is an open question. In a world beset by growing problems that require international solutions, this is not necessarily always a bad thing. Unfortunately, how such politics are now played, particularly with the Citizens United decision, the Dred Scott decision of our times, to allow unlimited dark money in politics no matter the source or the purpose, our Constitution no longer offers a set of rules to serve as bounds on how these new politics are to be played. Another major problem is that the concept of checks and balances inherent in our constitution take time to implement. With the world changing at “internet speed” and ecosystems upon which human life depends disappearing as we speak, this mechanism to guide our politics no longer keeps up with the challenges we face. Consequently, people opt for political expediency over the Golden Rule, justice, and the rule of law embodied in the Constitution itself.

Another area of Constitutional anachronism is the structure of the Senate, which gives a very small minority great leverage over the majority. Consequently, we have reached the point where one person, the Senate Majority leader can overrule the majority no matter how large. Such impediments greatly threaten the very notion of democracy itself. Ultimately, we are faced with either finding ways to amend our Constitution or run the risk of losing our nation to others with more contemporary adeptness in responding to the challenges humans face in our now ever more rapidly changing world. Whether we are up to the challenge, remains to be seen. However, one thing is clear. We are rapidly running out of time as global warming accelerates, as ecosystems upon which we depend for survival disappear, and as the consequent geopolitical squabbles get more and more intense.

1 Like

East TN and the city and county offices were open. The only local government agency closed was at the landfill and transfer stations.

This is idiotic, simplistic, and clueless. The fact is that American political attitudes vary NOT along a single dimension of left to right, but along at least 2, possibly 3 dimensions.

1. Social: Left (gay marriage, trans rights) to Right (traditional values)
  2. Economic: Left (high taxes) to right (low taxes)
  3. Rural-urban: Rural (leave us alone, no taxes) to urban (tax to do stuff, interventionist state)

There are additionally several wild cards. Gun rights is a trump card which over-writes other preferences, although this is possibly changing. Immigration is another trump card, and abortion is a third. Religion is sometimes a fourth.

To see where things are going, you need to see which hot buttons are activated and which of the 2-3 dimensions someone is aligned on. While the left and right of 1 and 2 are often aligned, this is not always true. In addition, Dim 2 & 3 are often aligned, but this need not be so - in MN, SD, ND at the turn of the century, rural interests were heavily aligned with anti-monopolist and anti-industrial interests, leading to the DFL (Democrat-Farmer-Laborer) Party of MN.

Trump won in 2016 by the single issue of immigration. Dems are continuing the emphasis on this issue which is a huge loser for them, and thus continuing the likelihood of Trump’s winning 2020.

Of course you are right. In the 1930s, most corporations believed that they were obligated to make some sacrifices in the public interest. This attitude gradually faded away, more quickly after Reagan. Our country was founded by white Europeans who seized the property of Native Americans and accepted slavery or bought slaves if they were big land owners - not unique to North America or white Europeans, but more stubbornly entrenched here than in many other cultures.
Likewise, misogyny is worldwide, but why must so many Americans support it?

1 Like

Not that she is totally wrong, but how is someone who never knowingly interacted with a Republican until after they graduated from law school qualified to diagnose and repair the problem she’s concerned about?

Worse than that, it is an apology for more than 50 years of Right-wing Republican conspiracy to undermine democracy with authoritarianism, and an insidious ploy to abandon a liberal/conservative political spectrum and to legitimize a spectrum balanced between democracy and totalitarianism-between freedom and servitude. This is a deranged thought-piece.

We no longer have a two-party political system. It is now one major political party, and one criminal insurrectionist conspiracy. I recently heard Lawrence O’donnell say that No one in the Trump administration will ever face prosecution for their crimes. If that is true, then the United States of America will be irremediably broken as a nation of laws above men, will lose any claim to democracy, and the Constitution with its Bill of Rights will become a dead letter.

1 Like
  1. Social: Left (personal choice and autonomy) to Right (orthodox invasiveness and prohibition).
  2. Economic: Left (domestic programs and debt reduction via tax revenues) Right (military spending, high-bracket tax reduction, burgeoning debt.)
  3. Rural-urban: Rural (racial separation, parochialism to isolationism) to urban (cosmopolitan, educated)

Not abortion but right to personal integrity and privacy. Not gun rights but anti-social degeneration. Not religion but personal ethic.

To see where things are going, you need to see how issues are framed and hot buttons are pressed.

1 Like

Trump’s success has been because he is the logical culmination of conservatism: Plutocratic, doctrinaire authoritarianism. I’ll say it again: Conservatives have no complaint against political oppression but they are dead-set against public economic commerce. It has been building since Nixon buddied up to Brezhnev, ran an end-run around Johnson with the Vietnamese, persuaded Chou en lai to guasi-capitalism while keeping the single party, since Reagan persuaded Gorbachev to let the oligarchs run the economy, to Bush and the Saudis and Trump/Putin/Ergodan/Xi/Un. The political orientation is antithetical to democracy, and has had an uneasy relation in this country since Rockefeller, Gould and Frick. It’s just finally out in the open.

1 Like

(I know, I’m late to this party but…)

I’m surprised that the first reaction to what Juneja has written here is that there is “no substance” to it. C’mon, it’s a thought piece, you know, it’s written to stimulate thought not convey information.

A knee-jerk response merely confirms some of which she is saying.

I am also looking for the middle ground–well looking for others like myself who are not wholly in one camp or the other.

How does my “camp” think of government?

I’m fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I believe it is the function of government to maintain our nation’s military and infrastructure, create an economic environment that enables the creation of good jobs. That means inducing manufacturing here in the USA with an eye for regional benefit along with educating/training a competent work force. And, perhaps above all, secure America’s place as THE example for democracies around the globe.

I believe the government should provide a public option for health care. I really don’t understand any opposition to this idea except by the profit-taking insurance business. It would not only bring the cost of health care into a reasonable percentage of personal budgets but would ease the burden on employers who currently carry a hefty share.

It’s not like the country will go into debt by focusing on so-called “social” programs—there are billions of dollars available that could be channeled to working class America by:

1. reining in waste in military spending (such as $500 toilet seats, etc.) and who knows what else.
  2. reining in waste in the form of fat slush funds that government calls operating costs, and who knows what else.
  3. pass REAL tax reform–think of the uncollected taxes from gigantic corporations like GE, Boeing, Amazon, etc., etc., etc., it’s madness.

There’s plenty of money, there just doesn’t seem any political will to wrest it from those who take more and more of it thanks to the pitiful actions of a congress that was bought off decades ago.

Thankfully, there are new progressive voices in congress, but they will be held in check not by the now rabid and power-locked Rs but by the D political masters that have enjoyed power while helping drive this country’s budget process into the ditch.

Screw partisan-ism.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available