Police Chief, Officer Who Shot Black Motorist In Minneapolis Suburb Resign | Talking Points Memo

The officer who fatally shot a Black motorist Sunday, and the police chief who said the shooting was accidental, have both resigned from their jobs in a suburb north of Minneapolis. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369507

She’ll just get another job in a police department somewhere else and that’s just fucked up.

6 Likes

26 years. Assuming she was acrueing pension time throughout, she might decide it’s time to retire.

Yes, it is. There is no national registry of cops fired or “resigned” for cause.

10 Likes

this was an accidental discharge

Silly me always thought you had to pull the trigger for a gun to discharge.

A national registry would be an easy way to identify the pool of available job candidates.

8 Likes

Also too:

27 Likes

… And then run into an individual with a warrant outstanding for illegally having a gun without a permit.

2 Likes
9 Likes

I’ll make a comment that I’m sure has been a million times already by other people:

When I get on on airplane, I expect to arrive at my destination alive. When I go to the dentist for a tooth extraction, or to the doctor for a colonoscopy, I expect something similar.

I EXPECT THE FUCKING SAME THING FROM TRAFFIC STOPS.

I EXPECT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT.

That’s it.

22 Likes

“Holy sh—-, I shot him.”

The 26 year veteran law enforcement officer says while training a rookie officer that day…

7 Likes

Yeah, the officer may feel bad for killing Daunte Wright, but at least she gets to go home tonight and be with her family.

Mr. Wright is dead . . .

Martha McCallum can eat shit.

15 Likes

Typical police pension is 50 years old / 20 years of service. She has the time in . . . so her resigning didn’t do any damage to her pension; just to her bank account IF she is arrested for manslaughter.

8 Likes

And if you refuse to wear a mask and attempt to open the emergency exit, you will not make it to your destination.

3 Likes

I wonder why Fox feels the need to go there. They have plenty of practice blaming the victim without mentioning the police officer. And besides should that be left to an on air guest? Let them take the heat instead of one of the blondes.

1 Like

But if I do wear a mask and open the door midflight, I expect my mask to turn into a tiny little parachute that I can float gently down to sea-level with and peacefully drown.

5 Likes

Not enough. Criminal charges. Civil lawsuits.

7 Likes

At the very least. Still coming at you and your “union”.

3 Likes

We don’t know that. I don’t know the officer but I expect she is not sleeping all that well and fears for her own safety because of what happened. I was involved in a shooting at our farm during a robbery and even though no one died I still have nasty nightmares even though it was 43 years ago. The experience of being shot at doesn’t leave you. It’s not the “cops n robbers” game we played as kids.
Maybe the officer intended this to happen, maybe she didn’t. I have no way of knowing what was in her head. This is not a defense. I just do not know. If it were me I would not be all fired uo to be a cop somewhere else.

12 Likes

We need less tax payer’s monies going to pay for police fuck ups.
It seems to me that when chiefs* of police resign it means nothing, mostly because in most situations the chief of police is not the one negotiating with the police unions. Chiefs don’t have the power to hold individual officers accountable since the unions don’t want that.
*N/A to this situation

3 Likes

An officer using a gun instead of the intended Taser has occurred multiple times before in other jurisdictions.

Here’s an example from Buck’s County, PA, in 2019. The officer was not charged, as the DA stated “Because the officer believed he was deploying his Taser and not wielding his service firearm, he did not possess the criminal mental state required to be guilty of a crime under state law.”

Now, this is PA vs. MN, but be prepared for no charges for the Brooklyn Center, MN officer, unless the MN prosecutor can find evidence the officer acted with intent to shoot the suspect and not Tase him.

3 Likes

The resignations shouldn’t have been because of the firestorm, they should have been out of recognition that you don’t “accidentally” murder someone and then claim you’re still perfectly qualified to do your job.

7 Likes