PHOTOS: National Guard Troops Sleep On Capitol Floor Ahead Of House Impeachment Vote | Talking Points Memo

Protecting us from the enemy within.

3 Likes

Could very well be this is the bargain Trump made with Pence and his remaining cabinet. No 25th amendment provided Trump invokes Title V of the Stafford Act (which happened Monday) to protect and repair D.C.

3 Likes

Those pics are just stunning reminders just how f#cked things in DC still are…

7 Likes

If there’s a silver lining to any of this, it’s that these photos serve as a cogent reminder that democracy has to be fought for and advocated endlessly. No breaks or interruptions for a generation or two, it needs to be celebrated and kept alive at all times, because the forces for regression and oppression are at work even in our “exceptional” country.

13 Likes

Somebody get those Troopers a hot meal and a cup of joe!

One of the gifts of working for your uncle, the ability to sleep anytime, anywhere; anyplace.

I once racked out next to my track in a snow storm where we had an OP setup. The next thing I know I woke up covered in 2" of snow. And I only woke up because we fired up the engine to cook our chow on the engine radiator grill.

3 Likes

The photo showing soldiers sleeping near a bust of Lincoln includes a plaque on the wall.

This plaque commemorates the quartering of soldiers in the Capitol building at the start of the Civil War.

https://www.aoc.gov/explore-capitol-campus/art/civil-war-troops-quartered-capitol-plaque

12 Likes

These scenes may become a permanent fixture in the Capitol building, and other government buildings.

I get all verklempt seeing military personnel quietly going about their job. Mostly doing their job under conditions others would complain about. Quietly doing their job.

10 Likes

Is all the Republicans do is complain? Fuck them. Their party tried to overturn a fucking election and their leaders tried and succeeded in getting people killed! I couldn’t give two shits about what any of them “feel” right now unless it is utter shame and contrition.

5 Likes

More like Camp Dumbfuck.

One of the first things you learn in the military is you sleep when you can.
If reduced to a code, it would go something like this:

• Never stand up when you can sit down.
  • Never sit up when you can lie down.
  • Never stay awake when you can sleep.

It comes with the job.

13 Likes

My father used to tell me this - he served in the US infantry in the ETO during World War II.

2 Likes

Nope. The party’s over and the hangover’s already setting in as the FBI rounds up the 1/6 rioters

1 Like

They had the option of going to quarters for sleep for a few hours and then returning first thing today. They chose to stay. Heard it talked about on MSNBC this morning.

10 Likes

It looks like something Ernie Pyle would have described, except he would have been talking about Omaha Beach. I hope we are able to remove all of the members of Congress who have violated their oaths in enabling this.

3 Likes

I will not be able to even kinda relax until after Joe and Kamala are safely sworn in.

I am VERY nervous about all the armed NG surrounding Joe.

What’s to keep one of the nutter Q types that are in the NG (and you KNOW there are some) from “sacrificing” him/herself to keep the “lizard, baby-eating, pedophiles from taking control of the country”?

1 Like

That’s the only picture that is uplifting. The rest are depressing as hell.

I slept on a bare ER (aka ED) floor one night, and I tell you, it wasn’t the least bit comfy. (My elderly mom was there and the ER was jammed - it took many, many hours and I wasn’t going to leave her.)

1 Like

“Well, this puts a new spin on fatigues”

Yes it does.

1 Like

You learn to sleep anywhere, any time you can. I have fallen asleep laying in ric paddy with water up to my chin and my head propped upon the side of the dike, it was warmer than the rain pouring down.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available