PHOTOS: National Guard Troops Sleep On Capitol Floor Ahead Of House Impeachment Vote | Talking Points Memo

Well, this puts a new spin on fatigues.

Ahead of the House vote to impeach President Trump for inciting the deadly insurrection at the Capitol last week, National Guard members were spotted in the hallways of the Capitol building on Wednesday morning asleep after spending the night on the premises.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354290

Welcome to the new Latin American country.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s something I never thought Iā€™d seeā€¦troops sleeping in place like that usually only happens when they are preparing for something or out in the field without support. Itā€™s the damn Capitol, we shouldnā€™t need troops there to protect itā€¦just one more ā€œbroken normā€ from the Trump administration. Itā€™s really disturbing that his followers just donā€™t see how wrong all of this is.

27 Likes

21 Likes

As with the letter from the Joint Chiefs, all at once it is depressing, embarrassing, shameful, comforting, and inspiring.

I think America and its constitutional order will, at the end of the day, have held. It shouldnā€™t have been so tested. The coming years and decades will be trying, but they will be trying within the framework of democracy.

27 Likes

Thank you Donald Trump. The whole world is shocked or laughing at us.

12 Likes

I hope they prefer democracy.

1 Like

Yeah I was struck by the fact only a tiny minority of those troops had so much as a sleeping mat with them, never mind a bivvy bag. And I donā€™t think a waterproof mat provided much padding on a marble floor. Something wasnā€™t quite right about the planning for this (again), as they obviously werenā€™t expecting to stay long enough that theyā€™d need sleep. Kudos to them for sticking through it, obviously

edited to add: when I was in the Canadian reserve I slept in the raw like this (no bag or anything) literally zero times.

9 Likes

File this under ā€˜pictures I never thought Iā€™d see in my entire lifetimeā€™.

This is what youā€™d expect to see if our country was actually, you know, under attack by a foreign power. :confused:

8 Likes

And all because one sick man got installed as president by a flawed system. Iā€™ll never cease being amazed at those who donā€™t see his sickness for what it is, and help him propagate his horrifying alternate reality.

23 Likes

Rather surprising to see this not to mention how do you do your job after spending a night on the floor? Do they get food? Are they allowed to use the john?

2 Likes

Very touchingā€¦

2 Likes

These guys getting their picture in front of Rosa Parks is A+++.

15 Likes

You get used to sleeping anywhere when you are in the army.

10 Likes

Wow, support the troops indeed. We canā€™t give these guys a straw pallet?

3 Likes

Unlike on 1/6, these troops are stationed to protect our democracy, not to overthrow it.

There will be no more invasions this month ā€“ not in D.C. and not at State Capitols. One thing humans are quite good at is fighting the previous battle, the one they lost last time.

5 Likes

Because the insurrectionists were as dumb as dirt the guy with the black tee shirt has been arrested.

15 Likes

Not at all. The loserā€™s departure and with good fortune a lifetime ban on holding office after impeachment and conviction heā€™ll be just one more failed businessman who flew too close to the sun.

6 Likes

Iā€™d imagine Yes to all, battle rations at least. And there will probably also be a shift change.

You can safely bet that 100% of the nationā€™s reserve capacity will be deployed to guard Houses of State throughout the land at least through 1/20, and probably longer

6 Likes

First thought: I had no idea we had statues of Darth Vader in the capitol.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available