People Are Getting Fake Texts Warning They’ve Been Drafted Into Army Amid Iran Standoff

As President Donald Trump straps the U.S. to a powder keg with Iran, people have been getting alarming text messages telling them they’ve been drafted into the Army and should expect to be shipped off to the Middle Eastern nation – even though the draft has been abolished since 1973.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1283441

And a lot a Red Hats across America are pissing their pants about now.

19 Likes

That Eric is such a kidder…

9 Likes

“Army security personnel are looking into the origin of the messages,” USAREC spokesperson Lisa Ferguson, who provided the screenshots, told TPM in an emailed statement.

Pro Tip: If you wanna avoid the full weight of the US military, FBI, and 17 intelligence agencies tracking you down and prosecuting your sorry ass to the full extent of criminal law, it’s probably best not to send fake texts impersonating Pentagon authorities in the middle of an international crisis complete with ballistic missile attacks on Americans in uniform.

24 Likes

I would purely love to get a text saying I was drafted. Seeing as I turned 18 just 53 years ago this coming May.

8 Likes

I have to assume that this is only the Fox viewers that are buying this. Anyone with any critical thinking skills would know this is bogus

5 Likes

Iranian hackers or Russian hackers?

11 Likes

Both

6 Likes

“Call of Duty” is fun in Daddy’s basement
Call of Duty is a little different, no?

8 Likes

And that 400 pound guy in the basement trump loves so much.

3 Likes

Away back in the year of our lord 1966 I received a letter beginning with the word “Greetings,…”

The induction process was step-wise but clumsy, and the day’s body count being broadcast on the nightly news made being drafted pretty scary. So I don’t quite get the joke here. I expect that texting it is so easy it would be hard for some moron to resist.

10 Likes

Now why would that be? Aren’t they patriotic 'Murkins who are just itchin’ to fight the Muslim Menace?! YeeeeHA!

1 Like
8 Likes

Are they sent on the same account as that reverse 911 text that Donnie sent out a year or two ago? Asking for 333 million friends.

9 Likes

Let’s see: the draft has not been in existence for 47 years, and the government does not send you official notices by text.

I often wonder how Nigerian scammers manage to get rich; this story begins to answer it.

19 Likes

Red hats or red MAGA hats?

3 Likes

Could Ghoulie be butt-texting again?

6 Likes

Whatevah.

Oh good, you’ve got some experience and you’re not wet behind the ears (or back-yes I know, I’m a bad boy).

Aren’t the red hats the older women’s group that wear red and purple?

7 Likes