Pentagon Announces New Screening Effort To Weed Out Extremist Recruits | Talking Points Memo

Depends on the counter-offer from Heritage/Federalist or whatever organization is currently giving him their full support.

3 Likes

Nope. That would be an illegal bribe of a public official. Only Congress can legally pay them to go the fuck away.

2 Likes

“You didn’t tell it right” is #346.2
“Some people can tell a joke and some people can’t” is #346.1

3 Likes

You cannot convince me that they’ve not yet found a way to reward Thomas for his ‘cooperation’.

What’s the guy’s net worth anyway? And how did it get there?

Clarence Thomas Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

And then there’s Ginny:

Virginia Lamp Thomas Net Worth (idolnetworth.com)

5 Likes

Because the vaccines aren’t fully FDA approved.

Ever since the fiasco with the anthrax vaccines, the military has been reluctant to order troops to get experimental vaccines.

I expect it will eventually be ordered.

8 Likes

I know, right? Any minimally respectable HR dept does this.

@castor_troy " “the military has been reluctant to order troops to get experimental vaccines. I expect it will eventually be ordered.”

So much for the idea of 40% of today’s Marines ‘charging toward the line of fire.’ Risks are involved, but they don’t want the shot because they want to avoid risk?

They don’t want to be told what to do? Should they have thought of that before signing? They swore an oath to protect the US from enemies domestic and foreign, but they choose not to protect us from domestic enemies? Is a good %age of the military just training to be better white supremacists?

Shouldn’t Gulf War veteran Timothy McVeigh (who killed 168 people and injured more than 680 others in OKC) have been a wake-up call for the military regarding extremism 25 years ago? Apparently not so much.

I have seen this in the police also. If a police response doesn’t involve guns or car chases, many police want no part of it. They decline. Yet it’s their freaking job.

2 Likes

Any guesses what numbers the other branches are going to bring in?

So we were workshopping this joke, “There is no extremism in the American military, absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount,” and everyone agreed the Python version with “cannibalism” and “British Navy” was much funnier. But seriously yes let’s not have more than a certain amount of extremism in the military, that would be great.

6 Likes

Do they still ask if you were/are a member of the communist party? I know they used to.

1 Like

Reminds me of the square root of 69.
Eight something.

2 Likes

If you really want to make lasting cultural changes to the military, more folks on the left need to stop criticizing everything about the military and start enlisting.

Hardly surprising that an echo chamber can exist in certain units and places when people with different viewpoints refuse to even consider a military career.

5 Likes

What are your thoughts on universal mandatory service?

4 Likes

100% behind it. Some form of public service, many people aren’t cut out for the military, so could do all sorts of things. But in general, some public service would do folks good, have a stake in the country and its future.

12 Likes
  1. Is there more “extremism” in the armed forces or in the population at large? (“Extremism” is obviously a stupid word to use for the phenomenon but this is the level of our public “discourse.”)

2. Are the armed forces more or less “diverse” than the population at large?

2 Likes

You gotta know that the media and the government seem to be ok with the radicalization (because that’s what it is) of the military.

From personal experience, when I was on the Army project (LMP), we were not on an Army base (too many issues with access) so they set us up in a couple of industrial parks in South Jersey.

They had live monitors in every building with Fox News broadcasting. There were few active duty folks there and those that were were civilian, but Fox News ran all day, every day, and we weren’t even on a compound.

8 Likes

Well shit, I was considering it myself there at one point but I figured there’s probably an age limit I’m about 30 years over.

3 Likes

…to “clarify that any demonstrably false answers provided in response could form the basis for punitive action for fraudulent enlistment.”

Teeth. Good.

4 Likes

If they refuse recruits who refuse vaccinations, they will get a whole lot of the crazies.

3 Likes

Well then I won’t bother trying.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available