Pentagon Announces New Screening Effort To Weed Out Extremist Recruits | Talking Points Memo

My more malevolent plan is a one-time retirement offer where the first MFer to resign gets $25 million, the second gets $20 million, etc.

The more politically palatable version is to just pay every SCOTUS justice $10 million upon their retirement, thereby encouraging regular turnover.

11 Likes

Vice President Mike Pence tried to assert control.

laughing chimp gif

5 Likes

" … demanding that military services ask recruits a standardized set of questions “to solicit specific information about current or previous extremist behavior.”

Great idea, Lloyd. I’m sure they’ll answer truthfully.

Other ideas:
• Do in-depth background checks;
• Quit airing Faux News on military bases.

Fun Fact: The (blessedly deceased) Rush Limpball’s show aired three hours — along with another three-hour rebroadcast(!) — around the world on the Armed Forces Radio Network every doG-damned weekday from 1993 through February 4 this year. For those keeping score, that’s 30 hours a week with absolutely zero counter-programming.

19 Likes

Good news. We don’t need an Air Force Academy anyway.

7 Likes

There’s an old joke, told in many variations, that goes something like this: Someone newly arrived in a long-term group situation (prison, submarine, etc. etc.) observes that one person will throw out a number, like maybe “thirty three”, and everyone else in the group starts laughing.

Confused, the newbie asks what’s up. “Well,” they explain, “we’ve all been together so long and told each other the same jokes over and over, that to save time we just decided to number them all”.

Okay, thinks the newbie, I can do that too. And says “fourteen”.

Nobody laughs.

And then someone says, “you didn’t tell it right”.

Well, it sounds like the TPM boards have almost reached that point with our usual memes…

13 Likes

Maybe the whole “separate service” thing was a mistake and it’s time to return to the Army Air Corps.

6 Likes

Just about anything can be justified on grounds of military order and readiness. It’s basically rational basis scrutiny.

3 Likes

That’s far from the worst idea I’ve heard today.

1 Like

More concerning then the enlisted troops are the officers including those promoted to the rank of general and many come to mind. That is before congress approves certain promotions they need took a person’s commitment to democracy and this is a much bigger problem than Flynn.

4 Likes

How BouT geT rid Of AntiFa militarY?

7 Likes

Discreditable conduct regs apply a deeper level of compliance in order to adhere to the necessity of unit cohesion. A reputation for belonging to racist groups/movements would undermine confidence in your leadership. Basically, you get drummed out for not being a good fit.

It’s no different than failing physical fitness requirements. If your attitudes and behaviours towards others fall short of requirements, you’ll get released.

3 Likes

Ahhh, good ole joke 62, haven’t heard that one in a while! :wink:

13 Likes

What number is the popcorn eating meme?

6 Likes

Better yet, combine all of the services under one roof. If nothing else it would end the competition for and duplicative purchases of different weapons systems. Unless, for example, someone can explain why the Army, Navy and Air Force require its own “boutique”, say, helicopters.

6 Likes

Ate?

18 Likes

I’ve heard it, “Some people can tell a joke and some can’t.”

6 Likes

Four words: “Gays in the military.”

Four other words: “Don’t ask, don’t tell.”

1 Like

Never mind the recruits. What about the extremists that are already there?

4 Likes

Or any social media outlet. Particularly Parler.

2 Likes

On the topic of military generally, I didn’t think that you got to pick and choose. “Just about anything can be justified on grounds of military order and readiness.” I guess if they get sick, they don’t have to arrest their relatives at the next insurrection to overthrow democracy? Sounds like gaming the system to me.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available