Pelosi Slams DeVos | Talking Points Memo

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Sunday wasted no time in criticizing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ push to reopen schools amid surging cases of the coronavirus nationwide.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320093
1 Like

This is kind of appalling too:

Texas hospital executive Dr. Jane Appleby is telling local media that a young coronavirus patient who had attended a “covid party” told his nurse, shortly before his death, “I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.”

23 Likes

DeVoid is not interested in seeing public schools re-open, she wants their funding taken away and grifted to Private dominionist indoctrination pods.

41 Likes

It is and directly on point as well IMO. This bug is truly novel, no one is immune and no one at any age knows what their prognosis will be if they get it: maybe no symptoms at all, maybe death, or just about anything in between including long term disability.

As the epidemiologist, Larry Brilliant recently pointed out: “We have learned a tremendous amount about this virus, about how it infects people, how it kills, how it spreads, but the big surprise to me is the kind of pan-organ nature of its attack. It gives the lie to anybody who thought that a comparison with influenza was in the ballpark.”

The fact that it kills the young less often (even if this were an acceptable rationale) does not mean it is incapable of crippling them in other ways. Sending children and their teachers back to school without strict and mandatory guidelines designed to protect them is criminal negligence. Full stop.

35 Likes

If anything, the opposite.

3 Likes

I would bet that that young patient got most of his/her news from Fox. Fox is almost as complicit in this national catastrophe as is Donald Trump.

18 Likes

DeVos is a white-collar killer.

16 Likes

The 45 admin is a revolving door of deplorable. The fact that DeVos has lasted this ling ought to tell you something.

14 Likes

Something to do with her brother is my guess.

19 Likes

The CDC guidelines are “very tough, expensive and impractical,” therefor we are giving you permission, nay, encouragement, to ignore them.

That she was rewarded for her and her husband making campaign contributions totaling $47,559,870 between 2000 and 2015. As she wrote in 1997, "We expect a return on our investment.”

27 Likes

Absolutely.

There is something “sanitary” to too many people about White Collar Crime…so maybe this monster (DeVos) thinks she can get people to look at her the same way as they look at someone stealing money from certain line items in the Company Budget.

This is different.

This is murder.

Of children (who are the students). Of teachers and school staff (who get exposed). Of parents and other family (who also get exposed)…Maybe a more professional (social science) term would be GENOCIDE.

20 Likes

I’m going to take a guess and say that before any hearing DeVos anticipates questions and then crafts and practices evasive non-answers.

3 Likes

Parents across the country can only gather from this (Trump deadheads, as always. excepted) that one Party cares about their children and the other Party doesn’t. So now who’s really “pro-life”?

If it weren’t for their voter suppression tactics and encouragement of foreign interference, I’d think they’re not even trying.

12 Likes

It all falls into place when you realize “pro-life” is code for “forced birth.”

15 Likes

We’ll be needing some good old-fashioned Nuremberg trials next year for the collaborators.

30 Likes

Not only is DeVos an out of touch billionaire, she makes no pretense about not caring for the concerns of ordinary Americans. The phrase “the banality of evil” leaps to my mind. Quite possibly the worst person they could put on a Sunday show not named Steven Miller.

21 Likes

It’s appalling, it’s not right, and I won’t have it. Not on my watch mister.

3 Likes

And no doubt a considerable degree of kissing Trump’s backside.

2 Likes

And perhaps some serious consideration of the U.S. associating itself with the World Court.

11 Likes

DeVos is known for her support for school choice , school voucher programs, and charter schools . … She has advocated for the Detroit charter school system and she is a former member of the board of the Foundation for Excellence in Education.
Education: Holland Christian High School, Cal…
Spouse: Dick DeVos

(Wikipedia)

From Mother Jones, Jan 2017:
And then there’s the DeVoses’ long support of vouchers for private, religious schools; conservative Christian groups like the Foundation for Traditional Values, which has pushed to soften the separation of church and state; and organizations like Michigan’s Mackinac Center for Public Policy, which has championed the privatization of the education system.

ETA: Every teacher I know is appalled by her AND her stupidity about schools, teachers’ issues in the classroom, pedagogy, students… And that includes my colleagues in a private Catholic high school. (San Francisco, but still…)

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available