Pelosi Pushes Back On GOP’s Talking Point On Delay Of Ukraine Aid | Talking Points Memo

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) sent a letter to her Democratic colleagues on Monday that addressed President Donald Trump and his allies’ argument that Trump did nothing wrong because Ukraine eventually received the aid that the administration had frozen.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1263164
1 Like

It is surprising this point even needs to be made, but I’m glad Pelosi is using her bully pulpit to do so. In polite company, if I see piles of stolen money in your garage, but you gamble it away before the police arrive, it doesn’t make you innocent of having stolen it in the first place. Well, even in impolite company, I suppose.

21 Likes

Nothing like a strong woman pushing to get Fat Nixon back at Walter Reed.

More please…

24 Likes

OT. The paper LLC is owned by the Trump Org.

So Trump makes bogus LLCs to lend himself money, thereby establishing a bogusly high credit rating. If the House gets the Mazars documents it may show, among other things, that Trump has been committing bank fraud for years.

35 Likes

Trump “is jeopardizing the integrity of the 2020 elections.”

Damn straight: it’s the bottom line and it has to be repeated again and again.
Donnie’s demonstrated willingness to use the power of his office to corrupt the electoral system makes it impossible to compete against him on a level field, so he must not be given that opportunity again.

20 Likes

This point plus - “[a]ll roads lead to Putin.”

p.s. I considered typing Pelosi’s quote in all caps, but figured that restraint would be more effective for the more discerning TPM audience.

8 Likes

Am appreciating the Whack-A-Mole strategy that the Dems are employing to refute any and all Repub fallacious talking points.

5 Likes

rEStraInt iS 4 tHe WEak. AlL rOAdS lEaD 2 pUtiN.

8 Likes

Not kidnapping because I gave the kid candy as the police were closing in.

9 Likes

…And has a certain Allen Weisselberg as its manager…

They don’t even bother to cover things up by hiring someone who doesn’t work for the Trump org…

17 Likes

This would be under SDNY’s aegis, yes? He’ll be more desperate than ever to win.

8 Likes

What ever became of Weisselberg. He was granted immunity by SDNY, but then what? Barr shut down that case.

7 Likes

Mais oui.

Multiple State Department and White House officials testified that prior to the aid’s release, Trump and several diplomats had been pushing Zelensky to announce an investigation into 2020 candidate Joe Biden while the administration withheld both the aid and a White House meeting.

And didn’t Zelensky have an interview set up with CNN? That to me looks like he was going to “kiss Trump’s ass” as Sondland so diplomatically put it.

8 Likes

Haven’t heard a word on him since.

Barr’s got a lot to answer for…

13 Likes

If they don’t prosecute anyone else, the next president must prosecute Barr.

13 Likes

They will. For the murder of Epstein at least, if not for being one of his clients as well.

3 Likes

I know there is chapter and verse explaining this in the US code, because others have posted it.

But unless that gets out into the mainstream beyond TPM and other political websites, the less-informed that aren’t political wonks will not know that the law specifically states that just the promise of the action is a deal breaker and against the law. Period.

So who is currently publishing that chapter and verse - what code and what paragraph?

ETA: Don’t read this as I’m not happy that Nancy is out there with this, but unless the drumbeat of the code and paragraph is out there, no one will pay any attention. And I don’t mean just one day, I mean every day until the hearings are completed. Every story should include this.

4 Likes

Everyone knows that just because you only clipped your mother-in-law with the bumper and didn’t totally get her doesn’t mean that you’re off scot-free.

And they’ve been running around with the same analogy about bank robberies.

Not much education needed, or that would change someone’s mind who is a trumper who is determined to not give a shit about what the law is or isn’t, so long as Trump is okay.

4 Likes

Money laundering 101.

5 Likes

Well of COURSE she says that now that the money’s been released.

2 Likes