Pelosi Jabs Trump For His ‘Hurry’ To Confirm SCOTUS Pick

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA on Sunday went after President Trump for being in a “hurry” to confirm his conservative Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett in order to invalidate the Affordable Care Act, given how the court is set to hear a case on the ACA just days after the November presidential election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334607

This is about the ACA and preexisting conditions -not only for those insured through the ACA but through employer health plans as well. Pelosi is right to make this the focus and Joe Biden did the same during his statement about SCJ and in answering a few questions after his speech.

20 Likes

What kind of person allows themselves to be nominated before Justice Ginsberg is laid to rest?

31 Likes

True enough. And what kind of person accepts a nomination this late in an election year after having previously said she opposed replacing Antonin Scalia for the same and because he was a conservative icon and Obama’s nomination would change the balance of the court… She seems to have no problem replacing a liberal icon and changing the balance of the court. IOKIYAR

28 Likes

What kind of person allows themselves to be nominated—let alone confirmed—under any of the current circumstances?

11 Likes

Russian the replacement.

13 Likes

Biden made a good speech a few minutes ago—which TPM is ignoring, of course—about the nomination.

Joe Biden on SCOTUS: “Just because you have the power to do something doesn’t absolve you of the responsibility to do right by the American people.”

39 Likes

“If Judge Garland was owed a vote, then isn’t Judge Barrett owed one as well?” CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Pelosi.

Well, this must be the new “reasonable” version of a right wing talking point. It seems to miss the fact that Garland didn’t get a fucking vote.

Douchery.

30 Likes

[“A day after nominating Barrett to the Supreme Court, Trump gloated in a tweet that it would be a ‘big win’ if the court struck down the ACA.”]

(1) For upwards of 400,000 deaths and 8,000,000 cases by that time, most of the rapid growth occurring in Red State areas

(2) And with COVID as a pre-existing condition

I have revised my opinion of Trump voters. They are masochists believing in self-infection, self-pain.

17 Likes

Huh? Seems to me that losing ACA is somewhat down the list of things to worry about with this nomination. Losing ACA is a disaster but in the context of bad things likely to follow from the Barnett appointment, it’s a secondary bad. Voting to keep Trump in office by resolving elections disputes along the lines of Bush v. Gore seems like a far worse and more immediate bad. Finishing gutting the regulatory state and making a wide range of liberal legislation “illegal” is bad. Gutting all voter protections and ensconcing the GOP in power forever is bad. ACA will be a tiny blip in the rearview window within a few years.

5 Likes

Personally, I prefer SC justices who don’t belong to a religious cult.

25 Likes

Worldometer puts COVID deaths for the world over the top today:

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

5 Likes

SCOTUS will not be involved in deciding the election.
Stop believing Trump propaganda.

10 Likes

I assume you are talking about the Catholic Church. Now THERE is a world wide conspiracy of powerful people dedicated to covering up pedophilia at the highest levels. /s

4 Likes

Don’t assume.

Barrett belongs to a splinter group in the Roman Church that says women must submit to their husbands in all things and have no agency of their own.

16 Likes

It’s also one of the few things that don’t go down a big rabbit hole of women’s rights and abortion right when people are voting and they don’t want to have those people slip back to Trump. Pelosi knows what she’s doing.

17 Likes

Her M.O.

4 Likes

I am wallowing in my own agony waiting to be helicoptered from my local clinic to (overflowed) hospital.

But…DAMN…I’m owning those libs…

9 Likes

Well they are getting infected in Wisconsin, North Dakota, Florida (again).

Since COVID is surging in those states and several others.

9 Likes

Funny thing for an empowered judge to believe.

She should stop overshadowing what’s-his-name and get back in the kitchen and let him out in the limelight.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available