Pelosi All But Confirms She’ll Announce Impeachment Inquiry ‘Later Today’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) coyly danced around impeachment questions during a live interview with the Atlantic on Tuesday before all but confirming that she’d be announcing an impeachment inquiry in the House later in the day.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1250946

I prefer to think of it as a Infrastructure Inquiry.

36 Likes

Waiting for Pelosi to match her words with actions.

She is still using the phrase impeachment inquiry

Yet, saying we have the evidence …which is point of inquiry.

All these weasel words.

Are they bring articles of impeachment to the House floor for vote of not?

…sigh…

5 Likes

This is why the transcript is going to be released (odds are it will be modified), so that they can try to win the war in the press before impeachment hearings get started. Once the hearings start, blocking them will not work, the courts have shown they will step aside in the case of impeachment and force the administration to turn over documents. If the administration continues to block in the face of that, they will soon appear to be guilty with the public, and information will come out through the press instead, as some people will leak if they think they have a chance to take Trump out.

Everyone has been piling on Pelosi, but she had to play this smart and wait for a real push for the impeachment process to start…this event has apparently infuriated the Democrats enough that they are getting behind it, even in purple districts, and people who understand are pretty much furious over such blatant corruption. We’re going to be in constitutional crisis mode for a while now, the Republicans will block everything and try to defend Trump to the fullest…remember that when the truth is finally revealed, they need to be held to account for enabling all of this.

52 Likes

First on line today and am super happy to see this. She will do it and can’t wait to hear the formal announcement.
IT IS ABOUT TIME TO GET THIS GOING!

18 Likes

I don’t know about winning the press war. Impeachment hearings could be good ratings, and pretty much free to program (just run the live feed). And a juicy scandal is the bread and butter of cable news.

4 Likes

Seatbelt secured. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

The mechanics of what Pelosi will push for will matter, though. Are we going to open committee investigations into individual aspects (such as in the Judiciary Committee)? Will we include articles not centered around Ukraine and Biden? Will the existing Judiciary investigations go on unimpeded, or is Pelosi going to put that under tighter control?

Again, I think we owe it to history to file broad articles of impeachment covering all Trump’s many crimes. Even if the Senate acquits across the board – or acquits on all but the Ukraine effort which is particularly galling even to GOP Senators – we have put out marker down and set the precedent that we believe these things to be impeachable offenses that we will not stand for in any President. I think that putting our markers on all of Trump’s crimes is a far more laudable standing than putting a marker down on “being evasive about a blow job” as an impeachable offense, and history, I strongly believe, will agree.

19 Likes

Get read to hit the ground crawling.

2 Likes

Trump was just fighting corruption! Most transparent administration ever! I’d love to release my taxes but the IRS won’t let me! MAGA I have a healthcare plan that will cover everybody!

10 Likes

Left unsaid is that this is similar to the kind of investigation that would take place if the panel were conducting a formal impeachment proceeding. The investigation will serve to educate the American people about the depth and extent of Trump’s malfeasance just as the Senate Watergate Committee’s investigation did with Nixon.

@georgeh Or not.

@tomdibble Dems under Pelosi have a road map.

22 Likes

There is almost certainly enough ambiguity in the transcript to allow the Don’s lawyers to argue it was “misunderstood” by the whistleblower.

Just read the transcript of any organized crime trial.

7 Likes

Some old English guy (Andrew Marvell) once said it best,

Had we but world enough and time, this coyness, Lady, were no crime.

Edited to fix typo, thanks @carlosfiance

6 Likes

The Dem’s first move must be to get some of the old Watergate counsel on board to provide advice and counsel to the current Dem staff. The Dems have been underwhelming in their ability to set an effective strategy, to tell the story, and to frame questions that will produce responses that make their case. They must get some competent attorneys to work on this.

8 Likes

And every week is Infrastructure Inquiry Week! Works for me.

6 Likes

It’s nauseating the way some folks continue to trash this woman. She’s played this brilliantly thus far.

46 Likes

You are getting ahead of the process. They will bring them to the floor once the hearings are done. Its better for her to act like the Speaker of all the Dems if that means purple ones are starting to flip, than to only listen to the “radicals”.

14 Likes

For the complainers who want the impeachment vote right now, you’ll get it about a nanosecond after there are 218 votes. Have you contacted your Rep.?

22 Likes

This is true, but the standard of proof is whatever the House and Senate want it to be, which probably means whatever the public judges it to be.

There’s no reasonable-doubt technicality beyond the one they can offer in the court of public opinion.

5 Likes

We’re in for a bumpy ride…

Edit: @tomdibble beat me to it.

6 Likes

Since it will never be brought up for a vote in the Senate

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available