On Voting Rights Republicans Have Told Us Who They Are. We Should Believe Them

YES - and seeing it in print - is a glorious thing!

3 Likes

Ah, I see. Biden unleashes the Sooper Seekrit Magick Words™ , the scales fall from the eyes of Republicans, and our democracy is preserved?

Okay.

1 Like

No, read my comment again. He needs to tell us our democracy will not be preserved and state the reasons why. Okay?

1 Like

Lindell must be taking rhetorical lessons from Howard Dean’s “Scream Speech” of 2004.

Yes, but…
The US Senate will always remain fundamentally “undemocratic” in that representation there has no relationship to population.

As it stands the Senate needs some form of minority caucus safeguards so that when 65% or so of the population might be represented by only 46 Senators or even less, the interests of those 65% cannot be completly ignored.

Small states will never agree to any constitutional amendments to temper their influence in the Senate. Consequently, I am suggesting that there needs to be some form of ability of protecting the interests of the majority of the population that differs from the type of obstructionism we have to deal with today. I confess I do not know what that might be now, but this year and next may be the last chance to figure that out.

When I was younger, many of today’s red states were represented by Democrats (George McGovern-SD, Frank Church-ID, etc.) The ultimate solution may be to take them back, but we have to deal with what we have to deal with now.

So, we go out, buy a bunch of guns, find some ex-military willing to train us, and then we fight for our country, street by bloody street? Possibly screaming “Buckeyes!!!” since that’s the anti-“Wolverines!” cry?

And we will, with our superior tactics and morality, defeat the side with tanks? And bombs?

Or, more likely, is this a replay of Bloody Week, wherein our side produces tens upon thousands of martyrs for Teh Cause? And then everything changes? Just like after Bloody–

Oh, wait. After all those deaths, Paris was stripped of political power for over a century, and was reliably conservative until very recently.

Other than that, all that death totes made all the difference in the world!

1 Like

“The U.S. Senate, as you know, is currently divided 50-50 along party lines, thanks to the impressive double win in Georgia, and counting the two technically “independent” senators as Democrats, since they caucus with the Democrats.”

"But, according to the calculation of Ian Millhiser, writing for Vox, if you add up the population of states and assign half to each of their two senators, “the Democratic half of the Senate represents 41,549,808 more people than the Republican half.”

2 Likes

It can be changed by adding DC as a state. Fuck the GQP. And…

FUCK. JOE. MANCHIN.

1 Like

President McConnell won’t permit that.

You don’t have to like what I predict. I really don’t care if you do or not. It’s coming to an America near you whether you like it or not OR you will be forever subjugated until your dying day to the will of the white Christian conservative minority. I said it was a choice. We’ll choose and have to live with the consequences.

3 Likes

Indeed.

And Republicans will be fine with that. Since they control over half the states, that gives them power. Biden can rail against the forces of fascism all he wants, but how does that flip the legislatures?

What are your plans to flip Texas? Or Florida? Or the Dakotas? What actionable steps are involved? I am genuinely curious. If you know how to quickly un-gerrymander Pennsylvania, then the PA Democratic Party needs to know. If you know how to get every last Democratic voter to the polls, please contact Stacey Abrams, because you two will be an unstoppable force.

Stirring words only matter in movies. At the end of the day, the American military will have to make a choice, and whichever side it chooses, wins.

…okay?

2 Likes

Well, there’s this little bill the senate is dealing with now called For The People. It deals with voting rights, etc., but I won’t bother you with all the details and minutia. I hope it passes but I think it’s highly unlikely, and therein lies the tragedy. If the red states get away with some of these vote surpressing bills it won’t matter how hard we work to turn out the vote because no matter how many votes we have it will never be enough. This is where the rubber meets the road kiddo. It’s we nuke them before they nuke us and as things stand now I’m seeing the later. Okay?

If the military sides with the Christianists, then your “resistance” is pointless, except as an existential exercise, I suppose.

And here’s the nasty thing about resistance: payback is horrible beyond words. You know the story of Oradour-sur-Glane? Just about every single inhabitant was slaughtered by the SS as revenge for a Resistance action. Maybe you would have been thrilled to be locked in a church and burned to death, but what about all the women and children locked in there with you?

Who are you to decide which lives are expendable for Teh Cause?

I never said it was guaranteed to succeed in any way. Just that it’s the inevitable choice we will face.

Who said I was deciding anything?

1 Like

So, one way or another, about 100,000,000 Americans die a truly ghastly death and a huge chunk of the country is rendered uninhabitable for thousands of years?

Basically, you’re rewriting The Walking Dead and giving yourself the part of Rick?

I will never understand why men fantasize about dystopias: it must be such a keen disappointment to wake up every day and realize that the Republic still stands and you have to go to work instead of reenacting Stalingrad in the irradiated ruins of Detroit.

Well, sweetheart, if my end is to be a pile of dust no matter who wins the coming war, I guess I should kick my travel plans into high gear and enjoy life while I may.

Because life is fucking AWESOME.

3 Likes

Oradour-sur-Glane? Actions have consequences? You and your ragtag group of patriots try to blow up a tank and the people in the surrounding neighborhood die as a result?

Metaphors are hard, I guess.

Nope. Not hard, just inapplicable and misplaced in this situation. I have no ragtag group of patriots. All I’ve done is point out what I think is the inevitable choice we’ll face. Who, how many, where, when and how people make that choice one way or the other remains to be seen.

Oh, dear god, I’d forgotten about that stupid plaque. So, the claim is that the Civil War was fought in New Jersey? Or is this about a fictional battle from the War of Independence? If so, why the reference to “north” and “south” when the political divisions were “revolutionaries” and “loyalists”?

Oh wait. He couldn’t tell the difference between the two events, even back when his brain mostly functioned, could he?

This is at the “Trump National Golf Club, Washington, D.C.” in northern Virginia - by the Potomac River

but what is described on the plaque never happened - there were no battles or skirmishes on record anywhere near this site - it was entirely made up! it is absolutely horse crap!

• just a pure steaming pile of Trump!
1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available