On Voting Rights Republicans Have Told Us Who They Are. We Should Believe Them

I guess that’s a weirdly equitable consolation for what is an otherwise grim day politically. Gaetz will likely serve time, while the legislation that would have prevented fascism dies a quite death at the hands of turncoat Democratic senators.

5 Likes

People were willing to take that risk in our not so recent past.

1 Like

We all know this will happen. It’s like the Democratic Party sees the train coming at them. They have plenty of time to know what’s going to happen if they don’t stop the train, yet they are unable to get off the track or stop the train. It is one of the most astonishing displays of political paralysis I’ve ever seen and one that carries with it horrific political implications. They will not use their own power to maintain that power. Republicans know how to do this. Democrats do not.

4 Likes

“Gilded Age”

You misspelled “gelded”.

7 Likes

But in that scenario the facts will be on our side, the GOP will see the light, have an epiphany, and begin filling the boxcars with those of us who voted incorrectly.

4 Likes

I agree, but in particular we need to get the message across that what the GQP are doing is the last great gasp of White Supremacy. If HR1/S1 does not pass, then all the voter suppression laws that the Rethuglicans are passing around the country will block the votes of many minorities, people of color, students, the elderly and infirm, citizens living abroad, and military personnel stationed overseas. And that will guarantee the political supremacy of white, right-wing bigots for at least a generation.

And if this doesn’t scare the hell out of you, you are not paying attention.

5 Likes

I’ve had a sick feeling about this ever since I accepted the reality that Manchin and Sinema will not budge on the filibuster. We see it’s coming. We know it’s coming. Yet, there’s is nothing any of us can do politically to stop what’s coming.

4 Likes

the Georgia results in November 2020 were

Now if 2024 were to be a re-run of 2020 and amazingly even with the impediments that the GOP is throwing out there, what if the results in Georgia turn out to be similar - but a bit more for Biden … say …
Biden = 2,500,000
Trump = 2,440,000

given the rhetoric coming from the lunatic right, it sounds like the Georgia legislature would forcefully reject these results (because it ain’t the way they see it) and concoct their own - that gives the margin of victory to Trump.
if a 60,000 is not enough to prevent partisan invalidation - how large would the margin have to be?

… and if an outcome simply being undesirable is sufficient to justify throwing out the results and fabricating some appealing fiction … how exactly will they settle on a particular made up number as the “official result” - do they just fudge it enough to have a “win” or will it be necessary to inflate it to absurdity so as to have not just a victory - but bombastic bragging rights too?

The Republican approach to elections will be like Trump’s approach to history - just make up some baseless crap that fits your agenda - memorialize it and move on

5 Likes
5 Likes

[jaw drop]

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m on the @pluckyinky team - this is political theater and when the chips are down, Sinema and Manchin will come around.

4 Likes

That’s only for the rank, file and those other who must be subjected to labor discipline.

1 Like

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! - I will guarantee you that McConnell has a couple of lame “justifications” already drafted out and will pound them down the Democrats throats at the very first opportunity -
In fact - one that I’d bet on would be that these “eliminate the Filibuster” discussions of the past six months … in his mind already provide him with ample “justification” -
in fact he will couch it as though he is forced to do this “in response to the assault on the system the Democrats have conducted by talking about eliminating the Filibuster” - all of that talk damaged the system so McConnell will argue he had no choice but to take this retaliation - it all must be blamed on the Democrats …
it will be like “Now look at what YOU caused me do - you made me hit you !”

3 Likes

Democrats are not allowed to eliminate the filibuster in the final 3-3/4 years of a Presidential term. The voters deserve a say in that in the next election.

4 Likes

I don’t think I agree with this. The Senate is already a slanted body; states making up a significant minority by population already hold majority control in the Senate (not entirely split by Party, but skewed in the Republican’s favor). So there’s really no reason for McConnell and the GOP to ever reform/remove the filibuster. And that’s also the reason I’m in favor of nuking it and being done with it. The Senate is a filibuster already, without any special Senate rule granting an even greater minority veto power over any bill.

The Senate was designed to give outsized voice to the small and underpopulated states and giving them a filibuster on top is just giving them a megaphone and jumbotron and McConnell understands that. Which is why he’s never fully eliminated it. It’s useful for him and his party in times when the Dems manage to scrounge up a majority and because he and his are just less interested in passing legislation in general and the baked in advantage for rural, generally conservative states, he knows that the Dems will never really be able to utilize the filibuster the way that he can.

I would say that the natural configuration of the Senate is plenty when it comes to protecting minority interests (if not too much), so it really behooves those who wish to protect democracy in this country to just get behind the campaign to do away with it completely and be done with it.

2 Likes

he is aggressively back on the Bolivian Marching Powder isn’t he?

1 Like

Large enough to give the Supreme Court pause. My cynical self believes the Court was ready to do a 2004 Bush v Gore reenactment until they saw how many states they would have to flip to keep what’s his name in the White House.

I think the Court is more than willing to let the red state legislatures do the heavy lifting so the Court can say its all within the authority of the states under Article I, §4, Congress didn’t pass HR1/SB1 or take any other action under its Article I powers, and its not the role of the Court to legislate from the bench.

1 Like

It’s the same rationale he used when he lowered the bar for Supreme Court confirmation. Harry Reid made him do it.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available