Ohio Is Home To Dozens Of Extremist Groups Angry About Its Changing Demographics

I worked a project in Lima, OH, for a few months (made the effort to tour the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta while I was there).

I remember its being a primarily two lane blacktop road from there to Columbus OH and also remember along the way a waterfront community that was nothing but shacks and trailers and really rundown messy.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a Klan existed there and this was 17 years ago.

I worked downtown St. Louis and inner city schools, including Normandie HS, where Michael Brown was a student. All the white folks with money are in St. Charles Co., and all the poor whites went into the country.

Gave up all those brick buildings downtown for cookie cutter McMansions. What dopes. Time will tell. Mostly that black folk get robbed on what nobody wanted just like on anything else.

1 Like

Ohio is full of hollowed out shells of towns, to which it’d never even occur to a citizen to consider moving. Residents of such towns should be thanking immigrants for coming in, putting glass back in the windows and trying to get something going again, because nobody else is going to!

2 Likes

Strange that two academic “scholars of extremism” have not bothered to describe how they operationalize “extremism”. This article applies the label to ideologies as well as rhetorical styles and violent tactics. That seems misguided, and indicative of unclear reasoning.

Moreover, one of their examples is a self-described “incel”. What is his connection to anger over “changing demographics” in Ohio?

In general these ProPublica reprints are of lower quality than Talking’s regular reporting.

Asian and Hispanic immigrants renewed blocks and blocks of abandoned buildings in Brooklyn NY and in NJ.

The strongest statistical trend among the Jan, 6 treason rioters wasn’t race, or gender, or finances. It was living in a county that was losing its white population.

That would have been March of '66. UCLA won in '64 and '65.

The starters were all black. There were at least a couple of white dudes on the roster. ISTR that one had started some games that season, but coach Haskins made the conscious choice to start five black players in the tournament. It was a big deal, especially against the legendary coach Adolph Rupp’s highly touted Kentucky team, which added its first black player some three years later.