OH GOP Sen. Attended Video Call While Driving On Same Day His Colleagues Introduced Distracted Driving Bill

Ohio state Sen. Andrew Brenner (R) was on a video conference call while he was driving on Monday — the same day his Republican colleagues introduced a bill on distracted driving while using electronic devices in his state’s legislature.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1372545
2 Likes

I don’t think a class on distracted driving would really persuade most of these people. I think what you need to do is tie them hand and foot, throw them in the front seat, and roll the car off a cliff. If they survive they’ll understand better the risks they pose to themselves and others.

34 Likes

Remember, Laws do not apply to Republicans.

25 Likes

“…driving while using electronic devices in his states legislature.”?

I wonder what the GVW restrictions are for the roads in the state legislature?
Seems it should be restricted to clown cars.

4 Likes

This:

Is hilarious.

41 Likes

OH GOP GOD! Sen. Attended Video Call While Driving On Same Day His Colleagues Introduced Distracted Driving Bill

FIFY!

7 Likes

I’m glad the fake background was mentioned because the picture didn’t make any sense. Didn’t know that was possible. Live and learn and if folks don’t “learn” that distracted driving is unsafe…

12 Likes

What, you mean you don’t wear a three-point seat belt in your living room?

24 Likes

@txlawyer must never have attended a party with this woman.

12 Likes

@txlawyer doesn’t live in an earthquake zone like we do. So Texans aren’t aware of the sofa seat belts we have out here.

20 Likes

[listening to music, paying bills online, responding to a question from my carer, checking my bank balance]
Great idea, @mattinpa. Being distracted is annoying, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Yeah, well if they keep on injecting lube into their geology with all the fracking, they’re gonna “fix” that.

11 Likes

Yes, “fake” backgrounds are pretty common. The research institute where I work has made an official photo available for this purpose for video meetings. I have a nice office at home, so I don’t use it, but others are using it when they have to zoom from the kitchen or the kids’ playroom or somewhere else that may be less than presentable and it comes in really handy if the call is more formal.

This is the first time, however, that I have seen this used from a car. Dipshit didn’t think about the seat belt. Next time, he’ll leave off the seat belt and maybe get pulled over for that. (One can hope.)

21 Likes

Next time, he’ll be a cat.

17 Likes

Haven’t seen that zoom or Teams or any of the other meeting software use SnapChat-like filters. But what do I know? Someone may have that hidden way down in the settings list.

I do remember seeing a funny clip where someone was using TikTok or Instagram or something where there was a priest giving a sermon with a goofy filter on (unintentional, but totally hilarious).

ETA:

10 Likes

I do when sitting on the Roomba. Bumping into the walls or furniture would throw me off otherwise.

10 Likes

I’ll repost this since no one else has yet. And also because it just makes me so happy.

14 Likes

Is there a screen shot of him actually looking at the camera?

I don’t even talk on the phone in the car. Not even hands-free. There are studies showing that hands-free is as dangerous as holding the phone to your ear. And that is about as dangerous as DWI.

14 Likes

I’d forgotten that one… Nearly fell off my chair laughing the first time I saw that!

6 Likes

Too funny.

2 Likes