O’Brien Denies Russian Meddling Reports | Talking Points Memo

National security adviser Robert O’Brien denied reports that Russia was interfering in the 2020 presidential election in an effort to help President Trump’s re-election, during Sunday TV news appearances.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1292779
1 Like

Every single member of this administration is helping Trump sabotage America for Russia.

51 Likes

How can rubes like this live with themselves? I am thankful that TPM writes about interview blather like this, so my brain doesn’t have to fry watching them.

31 Likes

Does this guy even have the necessary security clearances? Sure, he’s the National Security Advisor, but this is a Trump appointee we’re talking about.

Notice how O’Brien doesn’t deny that the evidence and analysis exists. He just says he personally hasn’t seen it (his intentional ignorance probably being why he was chosen to make the Sunday show rounds). We can just call him Trump’s Ostrich.

44 Likes

“There are no signs that Russia is interferring.”
“Have you seen the intelligence?”
“No. As I said, I’ve seen no evidence.”

“It’s a TERRIBLE movie!”
“Have you seen the film?”
“No.”

Life in 21st Century Amerika.

38 Likes

Well, he hears no evil, and he sees no evil.

If only he’d keep his evil mouth shut.

14 Likes

Yes. He has Putin’s blessing.

21 Likes

Seems hard to reconcile “the information isn’t there” with “they leaked the information”.

35 Likes

“I’ve also heard that from the briefers that that’s not what they intended the story to be,” O’Brien said. “So, look, who knows what happened over at the House and the Intelligence Committee, but I haven’t seen any evidence that Russia is doing anything to attempt to get President Trump reelected.”

bookmarking

14 Likes

Looks like Trump’s got his man.

14 Likes

In other words O’Brien is saying - People have already been fired because they said this stuff out loud - do I look like I’m stupid enough to say this stuff out loud and get fired too?

Or maybe he has gone all the way down the Trump hole and does see three fingers when the prez holds up two and tells him it’s three.

26 Likes

As always, they claim the information to be false AND that it was leaked. Hard to reconcile those two assertions unless one is schizophrenic. Shouldn’t the media ask how both can be true simultaneously? Asking too much? Would be interested in the answer.

30 Likes

As I kept hearing that in the background while working on other stuff this morning, I also kept wondering if a follow-up question should have been “have you HEARD of any evidence? Are you otherwise AWARE of any evidence?”–to root out any “slick” side-stepping of the issue.

6 Likes

“That’s not what [the briefers] intended the story to be” because they intended to keep it secret and not be a story.

And O’Brien is saying he took the time to track down and talk to the briefers, but he couldn’t be bothered to look at their evidence and analysis.

18 Likes

Why does O’Brien need to see anything… Vlad tells him what to think

2 Likes

When your pay check depends on you not seeing something, its pretty easy not to see it.

13 Likes

It’s the Barr school of lying. Interpret the question so literally and narrowly that you can deny anything without creating a frown line.

19 Likes

Considering that he already ‘paint brushed’ Bernie as a Russian sympathizer, i’m just waiting on the next shoe to drop.

9 Likes

Yes, has O’Brien even asked to see the Intel reports?
Exclusion of Intel briefings/reports is no excuse for trying to bamboozle our intelligence.

8 Likes

"O’Brien added that although he’s seen reports of intelligence officials warning House lawmakers of Russian interference during a classified briefing earlier this month, he said that he wasn’t there and that he’s “seen no evil that suggests that.”

3 Likes