NYT Tweaks ‘Bad’ Front Page Headline After It Sparked Outrage

The New York Times amended its original headline on the paper’s story about President Trump’s address following two mass shootings over the weekend that left 31 people dead, admitting the original headline was reductive and “bad.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1240690
2 Likes

#infrastructureweek

14 Likes

I’m surprised there wasn’t a Hillary Email story there, above it.

57 Likes

Give them time

18 Likes

“The headline was bad and has been changed for the second edition,” a New York Times spokesperson told the Washington Post, referencing the original: “Trump Urges Unity Vs. Racism.”

Good start. How will you keep that from not happening again for the five hundred and first time?

26 Likes

I’m sure its there, just in the “Shadowy” section, right next to the “Unfounded innuendo” insert.

7 Likes

This is Trump, “Urging Unity”:

33 Likes

Who’s in charge?? Accountability!!

10 Likes

‘Assailing Hate But Not Guns’ is no better than ‘Trump Urges Unity vs Racism’

Truth be told: 'Trump Urges Hate+Violance AND Protects Guns’

23 Likes

I’ll take what I can get, even though the second headline was too lame for me.

The important thing is that more people are on to Trump.

15 Likes

Nice to see NYT losing its credibility. It’s been able to rely on its “reputation” to do harm for too long, which makes it more dangerous than some extreme media outlets that nobody really takes seriously.

26 Likes

I’m waiting to see this picture on the front page of all major newspapers. Below the pic they can print this shooter’s manifesto that could have been cut and pasted from trump speeches.

32 Likes

Zombie Fourth Estate will eat your brains…

8 Likes

The changed headline is not as bad, but still bad. So is that a victory? Somewhat less shifty than their first try? President traitor “assails racism”? Sure, he read the words his staff made him read, but give to maybe Thursday, max, until he gets pissed off at having done that and starts talking about good people on both sides of the El Paso shooting.

11 Likes

Pure, clear example of taking a boilerplate, anodyne speech about a hate crime at face value and ignoring the obvious and extraordinary hypocrisy and sheer volume of hate-filled, divisive speech.

54 Likes

“Paying disingenuous lip service in a hostage video” is not “Assailing” anything.

19 Likes

This was ridiculous:

“Trump Urges Unity Vs. Racism.”

And this was equally ridiculous:

“Assailing Hate But Not Guns”

13 Likes

But but but…“we report, you decide!!!”

Meanwhile,

13 Likes

It’s amazing the press treats these people with kid gloves, when the GOP (and right wing in general) will throw them under the bus at every opportunity.

8 Likes

I’m sure it was a simple mistake – the headline was probably supposed to read “Trump Urges Racism” like every other credible media outlet in the country reported this weekend.

Darn Liberal Media!

4 Likes