NYT Is Said To Have Learned Nothing From Its Trump I Coverage

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1486161

ETA:

Whether Melanoma believes DFG is innocent is moot; the fact that she’s not in the courtroom means she doesn’t care about him anymore than she cares about the children he put in cages.

94 Likes

But Mrs. Trump, the former first lady, shares his view that the trial itself is unfair, according to several people familiar with her thinking.

Ok, but does the wife of almost any criminal defendant think the process is fair? With all due respect to her, why does the NYT think I care about what Melania thinks?

78 Likes

“All due respect”? You’re joshing me, right?

28 Likes

Why should anyone care what either Malaria or NYT think?

56 Likes

Iran’s Attack on Israel Stoked Netanyahu’s Evangelical Allies’ Appetite for the Apocalypse - Opinion - Haaretz.com

At a time when most Israelis are still recovering from the night of the Iranian attack and anxiously waiting for the dangerous escalation to stop, there are many who are watching from afar with religious ecstasy at these alarming events.

They are not the messianic warmongers here in Israel, but supporters of the Netanyahu government, the “friends of Israel,” evangelical Christians.

The day after the attack was thwarted, hundreds of evangelical leaders gathered on Capitol Hill in Washington to implore U.S. members of Congress not to act to prevent the situation from escalating.

Yes, you heard right, not to prevent an escalation. Pastor John Hagee, founder of Christians United for Israel, the same group that, among other things, pressured Donald Trump to move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, explained to his followers that the Iranian attack proved that "prophetically, we are on the verge of the Gog and Magog war that Ezekiel described in chapters 38 and 39."

**The shared longing for apocalypse has now united religious fanatics in Tehran and Gaza with those in Jerusalem and Washington. When he wraps his words of “support” for Israel against Hamas and Iran, Hagee is actually saying that in order to bring Christian redemption closer**, believers must support war in the Middle East, and – God forbid – do what is needed to frustrate the Biden administration’s efforts to de-escalate tensions.

57 Likes

The word “due” is doing a lot of work there. :wink:

34 Likes

“Due respect”
When my dad wanted to say the word “nothing”, he would say “what the little boy shot at”.

13 Likes

thank you, David. Excellent calling out of the BS. Somehow, your rants are like what goes through my head, but written much more cleverly and humorously!

78 Likes

This is certainly a ‘dust-settling’ review of the hearing, given that no new action is expected today.

Not sure much of anything else is going on today either, so it may be a quiet news day.

Or not.

9 Likes

famous last words. :grimacing:

25 Likes

“Never fight up hill, me boys. Never fight uphill.” That is what I think the New York Editorial Board does everytime it makes up obviously unsourced anonomyous shit to support one of its narratives. The NYT is forever fighting up hill.

43 Likes

If you take Donald Trump’s bizarro remarksover the weekend about the battle of Gettysburg and set them to a Ken Burns-style score with a mashup of vintage slapstick film clips, you arrive at this masterpiece:

It’s probably a good thing Donnie never served because I’m 99% sure he would have been fragged by his own troops, after them saying I’m not your “me boy”, got it!

44 Likes

Contempt Hearing Set For Next Wednesday

The trial judge issued his show cause order, setting a hearing for next Wednesday on whether Trump violated the terms of the gag order against him and should be sanctioned for it, as prosecutors are arguing.

The order itself contains a big, bold-faced warning to Trump at the top:

WARNING: YOUR FAILURE TO APPEAR IN COURT MAY RESULT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE ARREST AND IMPRISONMENT FOR CONTEMPT OF COURT

The judge isn’t messing around.

Me thinks the Dotard is definitely fighting uphill on this one.
Don’t do it, me boy!!! Never fight uphill!!!

55 Likes

hmm. not sure I follow… you’re saying it’s good that that didn’t happen?

29 Likes

Yesterday’s [NYT apologia for Melania Trump was laugh-out-loud funny, by which I mean so, so bad.

It’s so bad, the NYT is not allowing reader comments on it.

76 Likes

@txlawyer Wondering if you have any thoughts on the Jury selection so far?

6 Likes

Hey Melanoma, you want election interference, how about buying the silence from the other end of a hookup a week or so before the election.

13 Likes

Freedom of the Press for Me, no Free Speech for Thee.

Yes, I know as a non government entity they can do whatever they want

8 Likes

If the Ukraine aid package has broad GOP support outside of the Freedom Caucus loons, Johnson can bring it under rule suspension and Dems can protect his chair during the MtV. Or they can finish signing the damn discharge petition. Time to quit fucking around and get this done one way or the other.

62 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available