NYT: Giuliani Probe Focused On His Efforts To Get Ambassador To Ukraine Fired

The New York Times reports that the Justice Department’s investigation into Rudy Giuliani is focusing on his campaign to get then-U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch fired in 2019, which was at the center of ex-President Donald Trump’s efforts to dig up dirt on Joe Biden at the time.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1372131
1 Like

They didn’t care what damage they did to America or individuals, if it helped them.

29 Likes

You know, if it were almost anyone else but Rudy, I’d think it’s a bit late to look for evidence on his computer or phone. But Rudy is so profoundly stupid yet simultaneously arrogant that nothing would surprise me.

31 Likes

It sounds like Rudy Giuliani is about to go through some things.

39 Likes

To be fair to Rudy, it is probably difficult to keep track of which crime they may be investigating at any time.

22 Likes

The DOJ is reportedly looking at whether [Giuliani] led the smear campaign against Yovanovitch just to help his-then client Trump find dirt on Biden, or if he also did so to help the Ukrainian officials who wanted her gone, such as former top prosecutor Yuriy Lutsenko.

Obviously a distinction with legal consequences.

27 Likes

Right.

If he was just doing it to help Trump, then it’s all good.

4 Likes

OK, so where are all the “tapes”, Rudy? When do you proffer? When do you flip?

14 Likes

Does he flip? Or plead insanity?

Or flip and then take it all back and say he only flipped because he’s insane.

So many options.

7 Likes

Most befuddling and in itself a gross injustice.

6 Likes

OT, from WaPo

At least 45 killed, dozens injured in stampede at religious festival in Israel

Tens of thousands of people had gathered for a holiday that in part commemorates a rabbi whose tomb is considered a holy site in Israel. The incident began when some attendees slipped on steps, causing others to tumble over, according to local media.

Tens of thousands gathered and when this started there was no way to get out. And, this is during an on going pandemic.

9 Likes

I’m betting he thought that stuffing everything up to his iCloud drive would keep him safe. Also even if he got a new phone, he probably kept the old one and didn’t destroy it physically (the one truly reliable way of rendering it inaccessible),

6 Likes

Not a lawyer, but that looks like it brushes up into either treason territory or aiding a foreign state.

11 Likes

Prior to recycling them, I physically remove the hard drives of dead laptops and literally smash them with a sledge on a tree stump. It feels simultaneously transgressive and deeply satisfying.

17 Likes

Foreign Corrupt Practices Act …

Foreign Agents Registration Act …

14 Likes

If the NSA is listening to your hammer blows, you’re still doomed.

7 Likes

and may this reach to his helpers… the letter created at the T Hotel, helpers Nunes, K. Patel, Lev and Igor, the letter which showed up at State, in one of Pompeo’s files…

7 Likes

Nixon was a President who became a criminal. Trump was a criminal who became President. Giuliani aided and abetted Trump’s crimes.

26 Likes

Yeah, how about some proof you didn’t do any of this? What he has said, was he wrote a line into his contracts with these folks that ‘whatever I do for you, it isn’t “lobbying”’

uh-huh
How about a codicil, that whatever crimes I commit shouldn’t really be construed as crimes, can we all agree to that? Everybody comfortable with that language?

12 Likes

Trump was Vlad’s agent. Vlad wanted Yovanovitch removed because natural gas profits were not going to him. Dirt on the Bidens was gravy.

13 Likes