NYT: Giuliani Discussed ‘Pre-emptive Pardon’ With Trump | Talking Points Memo

Family discount rates as well.

6 Likes

I’m thinking, Giuliani asking Trump for a pardon is somewhat expected, given that there’s been much talk about his being investigated for a few months now. What will really grab my attention is when stories appear about Pompeo possibly getting a pardon. He’s been sailing close to the wind on a number of issues.

24 Likes

You see, lacking this kind of insight is why I’m not in marketing.

8 Likes

Okay, so now the GOP is officially the “Federal Crimes and Corrupt Pardons” Party. Got it.

4 Likes

Although I am not a constitutional scholar, I feel confident saying this is total bullshit.

3 Likes

It would be quite couth, especially if you limit your suggested limit to “known associates currently under legal jeopardy for committing crimes on the President’s behalf.”

4 Likes

Well, if you don’t pardon useful crooks, whom are you going to pardon?

9 Likes

Can you point me in the direction of “upwind,” please?

1 Like

Lock Him Up!

1 Like

It would be nice if the nation took steps to stop the abuse of the pardon power that’s been going on for the past 45 years.

We really cannot survive as a functioning republic if we are to be governed by people who believe themselves to be above the law.

10 Likes

Fully expect that Trump is considering “enhancing” the terms to
“Pardon for past AND FUTURE misdeeds, transgressions and crimes”

… otherwise there is going to be a big pre-pardon rush to get all of the desired crimes in under the wire…

2 Likes

This guy.

8 Likes

Pardonpalooza?

4 Likes

I firmly believe that a pardon should be painfully specific and be required to include a delineated list of charges and offenses a person is being pardoned for. No (absolutely no) general language permitted, such as, “pardoned for any and all”. Every single item that the person is being pardoned for must be stated. No editorializing… “just the facts, ma’am.”

That being said, can someone that has been pardoned for any ‘crimes’ at all, become an elected officeholder?

6 Likes

Yes, you’re something of a fan, as I recall.

2 Likes

At the very least he should pardon all the fashion crimes that were committed in his orbit.

1 Like

Yes, they won’t let you live in L.A. unless you pledge your allegiance to Rockfish.

4 Likes

Asking for a fiend?

3 Likes

In general, pardons restore any civil rights you may have lost as a result of a conviction, so the answer to your question is generally yes, and even more so if you were never convicted and lost your rights to begin with.

2 Likes

A legal question. Can Trump pardon non American citizens like Vladimir Putin (or any of Putin’s enablers)?

1 Like