Now Corporations Are Beginning To Line Up Against Texas’ Restrictive Voting Bills, Too | Talking Points Memo

Yes I went to OpenSecrets.org and looked to see who American Airlines and Dell Technologies supported with their donations, it was a little right leaning in the last election.

6 Likes

Absolutely on the money ! Doesn’t help that far too many of us Texans either ignore politics altogether or blow it off as " nothing we can do ". Apathy taken to professional strength.

2 Likes

I think this is changing. Without customers the businesses are goners. And the CEO’s can ignore them for only just so long and that point has been reached. The red states are nailing their feet to the floor and then setting the house on fire with these racist anti-democracy bills and the various companies want no part of it. Covid is bad enough for our economy but stupid racist politicians tip the scale. And it looks to me at this point like none of the Goobers are listening. This may change… I hope it does.

5 Likes

Thanks for that link!

1 Like

I lean toward that as an explanation. People have been living and working around that ethic for a long time here. I have watched it in effect on the individual level as well as in the broader sense of it. Texas politics and power mongering is like an inside joke here. It reeks and always has. This era needs to finally kick it to the ground and actually move forward.

3 Likes

Wow, I am really impressed by this!

3 Likes

That’s funny, because I’m a Texan, and I’m far more fed up with Republicans that don’t share my values trying to dictate public policy.

7 Likes

A pair of far-reaching elections bills that would make voting more difficult in Texas are attracting ire of the Lone Star State’s business community.

Corporations are people!!!
If you won’t listen to the people, then LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE!!!

3 Likes

You need to use a bigger mallet.

whackamole

4 Likes

As we watch the brutal crackdowns of the democracy movement in Hong Kong and the voter suppression bills passing in Georgia, Texas, Iowa at all, it is becoming clear that Republican lawmakers resemble brutal autocrats in China more than they do friends of democracy in America.

— Norman Ornstein (@NormOrnstein) April 2, 2021
10 Likes

I’m really impressed by the DOT’s action here–and heartened to see a counter-proposal to the project that would include mass transit. If there’s one thing Houston could use more of, especially north of downtown where I-45 runs, it’s more commuting options besides another couple of freeway lanes heading each way.

3 Likes

“Texans are fed up with corporations that don’t share our values trying to dictate public policy,” he said.

I would like to know exactly what values they are talking about.

5 Likes

Will Beto be their Stacy?

3 Likes

An experience familiar to many Americans working/living overseas.

3 Likes

Texans should be fed up with politicians that don’t share our values trying to dictate public policy.
Better.

4 Likes

Yes.

A few years back, Denton (just north of Dallas; home of the U. of North Texas) held a city referendum on whether fracking should be permitted within the city limits. It passed overwhelmingly. The very next year, the state legislature (which meets, fittingly, in odd-numbered years) passed a law forbidding any city from outlawing fracking. For a party that makes a constant fuss about the gub’mint interfering in the lives of citizens, communities, and states, this law seemed an especially ham-fisted way of showing that they really don’t mean all that talk about the virtues of home rule.

2 Likes

Yea especially oil and gas.

Some Texans are fed up with Dan Patrick.

4 Likes

Many I believe.

1 Like

Change is coming.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available