Now Corporations Are Beginning To Line Up Against Texas’ Restrictive Voting Bills, Too | Talking Points Memo

Will Beto be their Stacy?

3 Likes

An experience familiar to many Americans working/living overseas.

3 Likes

Texans should be fed up with politicians that don’t share our values trying to dictate public policy.
Better.

4 Likes

Yes.

A few years back, Denton (just north of Dallas; home of the U. of North Texas) held a city referendum on whether fracking should be permitted within the city limits. It passed overwhelmingly. The very next year, the state legislature (which meets, fittingly, in odd-numbered years) passed a law forbidding any city from outlawing fracking. For a party that makes a constant fuss about the gub’mint interfering in the lives of citizens, communities, and states, this law seemed an especially ham-fisted way of showing that they really don’t mean all that talk about the virtues of home rule.

2 Likes

Yea especially oil and gas.

Some Texans are fed up with Dan Patrick.

4 Likes

Many I believe.

1 Like

Change is coming.

2 Likes

Asked and answered.

They are just following orders without realizing the impacts.

3 Likes

Seems kind of incongruous to me to be betting the future of the party on low-propensity Trump voters to continue showing up to vote while simultaneously making it harder for them to do so. But what do I know?

3 Likes

GOP state official both elected and not, have been for decades pursuing a successful strategy of being very pro-business. Remember this?

So where was Dan Patrick then?

From his wiki:

" In the 2010 general election, Patrick was reelected with 86.4% of the vote. He also endorsed Rick Perry for re-election in the 2010 election. Soon after winning re-election, Patrick announced, and subsequently created, a Tea Party Caucus in the Texas state legislature, which at its creation had 48 legislative members.

W. Gardner Selby, editor of the Austin American-Statesman’ s “PolitiFact Texas”, listed Patrick as third among the top 10 Republican political influencers in Texas. Patrick is also listed in Texas Monthly as one of the state’s most powerful players.

So Patrick endorsed a very pro-business strategy just like all Texas GOP members. Now that Businesses such as American Airlines have made a statement he wants to punish a Businesses free speech rights? I thought the GOP was fully supportive that corporations are people and thus have 1st amendment rights? Is this not exactly what they have fought for in Hobby Lobby and Citizens United? Get your facts straight or people might just believe that you are a craven power seeking power so you can punish all those against you regardless of the US constitution or the law.

2 Likes

The Texas Lege used to be considered a source for humor, the congress critters would descend here in Austin every 2 years and shenanigans would ensue. That all changed with Karl Rove and the demonizing of liberals and the Democratic party. The Republicans dropped some of the long standing " gentleman’s agreements " on how things were done and it’s been a shitshow ever since

2 Likes

HP, Oracle, Space X Tesla have all relocated their HQs from California to Texas. Apple has a big footprint in both states yet.

If I timed it wrong, traffic on I 35 was bad going thru Austin 25-30 years ago. Worse than San Antonio. They are going to need a lot of infrastructure as those companies increase their footprint and companies that supply those already there move in.

Space X is also taking over Boca Chica Village.

Business or commercial electric rates are a lot cheaper in Texas than all but 4 other states. And no state taxes.Plus a pro business attitude. With property values soaring, their tax revenues should be going up too.

But I could not live in Texas from May-October.
Too damn hot. Houston is too damn humid. The area between Texarkana, Longview and Nacogdoches I liked, probably all the trees and greener environment.

He will drive all those snake like liberal corporations out of Texas and they’ll call him St Patrick of Texas.

Yep and both Tesla and Oracle have decided to move to Austin. Time for them to suspend those moves and for their Employees to make some noise. Texas brags about it’s great business climate, time for rain on that parade.

Yep. Cameras at the polls will be a hard sell for old-time republican poll officials.

1 Like

It is but “the invisible hand of the free market”.

In the last coupla years 36K Californians and 37K Floridians moved to TX. Guarantee that’s culturally motivated. Two data points do not a trend make, but 2 of my neighbors moved there. They were Obama conspiracy types. Maybe moving there is a marker of sorts – people living in a different reality. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

Corporations that don’t share TX GOP values? Neither of you have values, dotard. Who does the Republican Lt. Governor think he’s fooling?

If your “values” allow your to lie and cheat as the only way to stay in power, then you are on a direct crash course with ALL the voters in your state. These oppressive laws effect anyone who wants to cast a ballot. Who are you to make it harder?

People are fed up with this conservative BS. It’s our vote. It’s not yours to suppress.

If he did Texas economy would shrink and thus those that back him, would step away. We all know that at the end of the day, it is all about money and power. If your best options is to yell and complain to companies that provide tax to your state, jobs to its state citizens, and healthcare to those workers, then maybe those companies will go where there is less yelling. Thus the conundrum our state politics and federal politics have, they love the money that pours in from these corps, they love all the lobbying and policy making they do for the politicians, but they hate it when they disagree and it ends up in their face. Ah, cancel culture, I mean what is it really? Is it this, is the disinvestment movement sponsored by activist telling college endowments to not have their money with Israel, is the people blowing up their yeti coolers, is it Ronald Reagan going after the air traffic controllers, I mean who is to know.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available