Notoriously Conservative 5th Circuit Court Of Appeals Was Once A Leader In Expanding Civil Rights - TPM – Talking Points Memo

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis. It was originally published at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1478489

So a refute based on feelings
Abortion Groups FALSELY Claim Huge Rate of Babies Conceived in Rape Under Pro-Life Laws - CatholicVote org
CV NEWS FEED // Catholic pro-life analyst Michael New slammed a study recently cited by pro-abotion activists and the mainstream media as “one of the worst and most misleading pieces of advocacy research” he has “ever encountered.”

New refuted the research in a Thursday National Review piece titled “No, 64,000 Children Have Not Been Conceived in Rape in States with Pro-Life Laws.”

He called the study “frankly one of the worst and most misleading pieces of advocacy research that I have ever encountered in my years as a social scientist.”

“Furthermore, the fact that this article appeared in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal grants it legitimacy and credibility that it absolutely does not deserve,” he went on.

New pointed to “significant problems with the methodology” used by the study’s authors. He gave several examples – including the study’s use of an “exceptionally high figure” for the percentage of rapes that result in a pregnancy and the fact that there are “extremely wide disparities in reported rape statistics.”

“It should come as no surprise that some of the authors of this article are employed by organizations that support legal abortion,” New noted.

The study’s lead author is the medical director of Planned Parenthood’s Montana state affiliate, New pointed out. “The mainstream media outlets that ran stories about this study unsurprisingly failed to cover this blatant conflict of interest.”

8 Likes

In a second case now before the U.S. Supreme Court, the 5th Circuit ruled that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s funding mechanism was unconstitutional, because this agency gets its money from the Federal Reserve rather than from Congress.

That ruling could invalidate not only the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau but also the Federal Reserve itself and the entire Social Security program, including Medicare, which also do not receive their funding from Congress.

I can think of no better way for the 5th Circuit and SCOTUS to undermine itself by ruling in a way that invalidates funding for Social Security and Medicare.

24 Likes

It is surprising that during an election year the cult would so clearly emphasize their war the elderly, as well as their war on women, children and minorities.

I’m not sure if they are crazed by hubris in the extreme or if they are crazed strictly because they have been completely subsumed by the essence of dear leader.

17 Likes

Yeah but the “Catholic pro-life advocate” has no “blatant conflict of interest”./s

22 Likes

Also, the WaPo - which only does stenography, puff pieces and whitewashing on Youngkin - hasn’t covered Youngkin’s support for Abbott’s insurrectionism.Why not?

13 Likes

I guess it is hard to defend your client when you have no idea what the trial is about :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16 Likes

The figure may be a little high, but it is certainly not out of the ball park. Rape remains one of the most under reported and under investigated crimes in our society, so an accurate calculation is extremely difficult if not impossible. I find it most telling that one of his biggest problems with the study is not that it is reporting any false data, but that it is guessing too high on how many rapes result in pregnancies. Is that the real problem here, Mr. New?

New pointed to “significant problems with the methodology” used by the study’s authors. He gave several examples – including the study’s use of an “exceptionally high figure” for the percentage of rapes that result in a pregnancy

Then he completely undercuts and exposes his own biases by saying another problem is the fact that there are “extremely wide disparities in reported rape statistics.”

Thanks, Mr. New. The implication of your tirade is that there is some large and acceptable number of women who get raped and are forced to have the baby. What exactly is that number, Mr. New?

21 Likes

With friends like Rudy
[Giuliani Gives Unhelpful Defense Of Trump: ‘Sexual Assault, Not Rape’ | Crooks and Liars](https://crooksandliars.com/2024/01/giuliani-gives-unhelpful-
defense-trump)
![image|67x500]

6 Likes

It’s the babies, Jones! There can be no conflict when you are doing God’s will and you are protecting all of the little babies! You monster!

13 Likes

Not to quibble, but while the 5th Circuit may be “notorious”, it’s anything but “conservative”.

Conservatives try to defend the status quo against change.

Any gang of bomb-throwers like the 5th Circuit, hell-bent on overthrowing 50 years of settled jurisprudence – or, in some cases, 150 years! – can only be described as “radical” (perhaps even “anarchist”).

40 Likes

If they are Trumpers this becomes an election issue now!

5 Likes

I wonder how New feels about the methodology, science and ethics behind the studies that conclude medication abortions can effectively be reversed with no adverse consequences.

7 Likes

Habba-Dabba is making a huge pile of grifter dough whining for FatAss.

Unless she pushes it to the point that a judge starts making her pay for her vile behavior by some means that hurts her, she will whine until the cows come home. By the time this is all over, she will have enough $$ from Grandma and Grandpa Maga to retire in style.

Sad but true…

9 Likes

Only if she is actually being paid, which would be a rarity with trump

4 Likes

Great post - conservatives want to drag us back to the 50s - these guys want to drag us back to the 1850s.

13 Likes

The 5th Circuit today looks very different than it did half a century ago, when it was on the front lines of enforcing civil rights.

The Party of Lincoln looks very different than it did 150 years ago when it was on the front lines of abolishing slavery and trying to make good on the declaration that “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

As some Englishman said 430 years ago, “What’s in a name?”

The GOP offers reeducation courses on the meaning of states’ rights and freedom.

A Newsweek analysis of FEC records found that between February 2022 and June 2023, Habba’s New Jersey law firm, Habba Madaio & Associates LLP, received $3,586,350 from Save America and Make America Great Again PAC, two Trump-aligned political action committees.

18 Likes

There is a whack job, Bible thumping, born again jerk near me.
He informed me I was in trouble with the Lord because I told him what I thought about someone running for elected office.
He causes problems everywhere he goes because he is right with the Lord.
He and his ilk do not care about election year because they are protected by Trump their God.

8 Likes

Well those blonde highlights don’t just happen naturally.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s Trump. He’s just a symptom. Fox News and conservative social media have made it possible for people to choose living inside a closed bubble of pseudo information and anger-driven “engagement.” There is no outside reality check. This creates a positive feedback loop where the crazy just gets crazier over time.

It’s why the narrative of a stolen election is so powerful. These people can’t believe there are actually enough other voters outside their closed bubble to win a fair election. When it happens they’re shocked! But not shocked enough to consider whether their beliefs and Republican policies are the problem. No, the election must have been rigged.

12 Likes