Next Presidential Debate Will Be Virtual Amid Trump’s Battle With COVID

The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) announced on Thursday that the next debate between President Donald Trump, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 last week, and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on October 15 will not be held in-person.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1337233
2 Likes

Fabulous. Waiting to see this. There was no reason for it to be in person.

Though i fully expect the Trump campaign to bitch about this.

34 Likes

Best decision ever
Edit: obviously Trump is refusing

19 Likes

Will the WH staff set up a cardboard cutout Biden for tRumpf to focus his rage on? Otherwise this will be a snoozefest.

5 Likes

They should only turn on each candidate’s microphone when it’s their turn to speak.

23 Likes

The best decision. Let’s see if Howdy Dowdy will even be up to spewing for 90 minutes, if he hasn’t kicked the bucket by then.

9 Likes

My prediction is Trump will balk on this and it will be cancelled because he balks.

ETA: And sure enough, he has already refused to attend.

41 Likes

Agree.

3 Likes

Whiny little bitch gotta whine

6 Likes

25 Likes

Trump campaign will whine … but they will also be trying to figure out how to cheat …

Best for Biden to keep full speed ahead & pound Trump mercilessly … work the nation like Trump can’t … or if Trump tries … the pace puts him back in the hospital.

10 Likes

Convenient that the town hall is remote.
I’d think Trump would like this since he doesn’t have to be near the peasants.

9 Likes

Or may be not, my understanding from what medical doctors say is that Benadick Donnie is not “out of the woods” yet.

Desperation leads to desperate plans. That is when plans usually spin out of control.

8 Likes

Trump gets confused trying to read off a teleprompter. Can you imagine the shitshow if someone was off camera trying to “help” with flash cards or something.

10 Likes

Make Trump produce a genuine negative test before …no matter the venue

11 Likes

They should have a third-party monitoring Trump for obvios cheating (a room full of aides writting answers on a whiteboard for example).

8 Likes

COVID or IQ?

12 Likes

“Not acceptable to us,” the president complained. “I am not going to do a virtual debate.”

POTUS on FOX

7 Likes

Washington Post reports Trump will not participate.

And of course not: there’s no opportunity to infect his opponent.

19 Likes

Good.

But I expect him to walk it back when he realizes that the commission isn’t going to cave, and they’d better not.

6 Likes