New Visa Ban On Nigeria, Myanmar, Four Others Is ‘Height Of Common Sense,’ WH Says | Talking Points Memo

The Trump administration announced Friday that it was nearly doubling the list of countries whose citizens were barred from obtaining certain types of visas.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1288508

When someone claims an action is “the height of common sense” it is usually not.

30 Likes

Speaking of common sense I fail to see how a business or tourism visa has no potential security implications but an immigrant visa does. Seems like a would-be immigrant would be the least likely threat. Of course, I don’t do that sort of thing for a living. I just think the people who do are under the sway of a cabal of white nationalists seeking to ultimately suppress votes they think would go to the Democrats.

39 Likes

Democrats, if we ever get back into power, should immediately ban immigration from Russia. Also ban Russian nationals, corporate or human, from purchasing property in the USA or holding any interest in a communications company or any enterprise deemed sensitive to our national security–including not-for-profit entities (eg NRA). Expropriate or freeze any existing interests that have not been disposed of within 30 days. If that means that Trump Industries collapses, so much the better. Time to get tough on this threat to our national security. Make the oligarch-gangsters pay. It would be Putin’s worst nightmare.

30 Likes

Well when that someone works in this maladministration says it’s a given that the proof of common sense is not there.

10 Likes

Wait until Trump starts with Blue States.

7 Likes

But lingerie models from Russia and Slovenia are welcome.

19 Likes

The least likely threat of terrorism, but the most likely threat to the imagined dominion of white claiming-to-be-Christian males.

12 Likes

Betcha Trump thinks all Nigerian immigrants are the so-called Nigerian Princes out to steal his money via an email scheme.

4 Likes

And, we should ban immigration from Mar-A-Lago too.

6 Likes

Maybe Melania’s watched too much of 90 Day Fiance’ on TLC. Seriously, the story involving a K-1 visa for a Nigerian has been vomit inducing.

Otherwise, I don’t know quite what this is supposed to accomplish. One of the things that can be reversed next year.

4 Likes

Counterproductive and not based in what’s claimed. If you want to improve relations with Iran ( lets say ) and nudge its people into rethinking their politics the best way is to let them come to the USA. America is actually a pretty cool place if you put its politics aside. All kinds of things to do here. Impressive cities and parks…malls and fast food. It’s cool here. Let them come and see and taste that. They’ll take that message home.

9 Likes

I’m sure that this has been run through the miller a number of times to make sure it was the height of common sense…

12 Likes

Translation: not enough bribery payments to the regime were forthcoming so…

4 Likes

Let the ugliness roll forth from the fully exonerated and voter mandated chosen one. I am sure the next 10 months will have many, many more stories like this and will garner us much respect on the world stage. Let’s see if Trump can point to Nigeria on a map.

How fast can we become the South Africa of the 21st century?

10 Likes

But the former Nigerian oil minister was supposed to be arriving today to deliver my cut of his $20 million account that’s been tied up in litigation! I was the only one who could help him!

11 Likes

and still the question needs to be asked: How many Trump properties in these now-banned countries? As in, how many said ‘no, thanks’ when he wanted to build there?

4 Likes

“Height of a shithole Administration.”

FIFY

5 Likes

Back during the 2007 and 2013 immigration debates so called “The gang of…” the modeling agencies and fashion industry lobbied for more H-1 visas for models. Here in NY since it’s a billion plus dollar industry it’s a economic driver.

3 Likes

Also, the Nigerians are just too black.

6 Likes