New Mexico Grand Jury Indicts Failed GOP Candidate For Shooting At Dems’ Houses

A New Mexico grand jury has indicted Solomon Peña, the failed GOP state house candidate, for shooting at Democratic officials’ homes throughout Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Bernalillo County District Attorney’s office announced on Monday. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446793

Reminder that the core appeal of the QAnon fantasy is the elimination of the right wing’s political enemies.

18 Likes

A new GQP game show, Delusion or Consequences.

9 Likes

Going OT for a mo.

An ambulance was requested after their initial interaction with Nichols, the department said, and an emergency unit was dispatched at 8:46 p.m. The department said the unit arrived at the scene at 8:55 p.m., and initiated care and took Nichols to a hospital at 9:08 p.m. — about 27 minutes after Long, Sandridge and Whitaker arrived at the second location.

6 Likes

Takes real talent for a politician to get himself arrested before he gets indicted.

10 Likes

The Republican party should whole heartedly support this indictment because of, well, you know, “personal responsibility,” and its advocacy of “law and order” and all…

10 Likes

Santos and Pena: Assholes. I want to see them pay a price. To me, they’re small potatoes compared to the crimes of the Barr DOJ, FBI agents and other fed officials complicit in TFG’s crimes.
The apparent numbers of those complicit gnaws at my entrails like few other political events in my lifetime.

8 Likes

Nothing new about the police culture that leads to these atrocities. Decades ago, I’ve heard cops – including cops in –ready for this? – Beverly Hills, CA, brag about their aggressive behavior towards people of color, especially blacks. I’ve heard cops in NJ brag about clubbing blacks below the neck when they felt disrespected. (Avoid booking them with blood on their faces.)
It does, however, seem to have gotten lethal over the past few years. I suspect that’s because there’s simply fewer inhibitions on such behavior. And THAT is what must change. How we do that I don’t know. A few cops getting fired or going to prison doesn’t seem to have stopped these incidents.
The psychological tests administered to police recruits is a charade. There are tests that help weed out dangerous people, but they’re relatively expensive.

3 Likes

Agreed. Trampista continue to shape our cultural dialogue toward hideousness,

1 Like

“New Mexico Grand Jury Indicts Failed GOP Candidate…”

Not to put too fine a point on it, but pretty much every Republican contender – at least in the Trump era – is by definition, win or lose, a “Failed GOP Candidate”.

3 Likes

Hmm I thought in the initial reporting, before the EMTs were fired that there was a question of why it took 20+ minutes for an ambulance to arrive. Now it seems that the ambulance was there, but that 20+ minute wait time was for the cops to finish their beat down on Mr. Nichols.
I realize that first reporting on an incident can be wrong, but still to stand around for 27 minutes while someone get beat…

1 Like

Wrong forum…

2 Likes

Yeah. Not cool to hijack a thread 2 posts in.

1 Like

I guess he FAFO…

Ok, this guy has been indicted for shooting at houses
Now how about trump who has done considerably more crimewise.

1 Like

Last week, District Court judge David Murphy denied his attorney’s request for bail because he couldn’t guarantee the officials’ safety if he were released.

I took me a minute, but “officials” means the elected Democrats, right?

3 Likes

There’s a built in culture by now in police forces and it’s impenetrable. It says be tough, be aggressive, don’t be kind, don’t listen, it’s like a bunch of bully boys being unleashed on some innocent civilian and about 85% of those innocent civilians are Black.

I’ve read that even when a particularly aggressive cop gets fired, it’s not the end of his career. Other police forces will hire him not knowing his history of aggression and over-the-top force.

3 Likes

Note that the article mentions that there was a clarification of the credentials of these individuals

• They were EMTs, not paramedics… big difference

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
students complete a course that is a minimum of 170 hours in length.

Paramedic (PM)
students complete a program between 1,200 to 1,800 hours and may last six to twelve months.

Maybe the EMTs were deficient in the performance of certain duties - but seriously - EMTs are not empowered to take very many high impact critical care actions - the folks on our local ambulance squad will sometime joke that they are essentially a transport service with siren & a stretcher. The amount of high impact decision making that they are responsible for performing is typically quite limited - because they simply are not “highly trained”.

So it seems a bit odd to have whatever inadequacies / instances of neglect these EMTs may have revealed - be sensationalized as if it was all on the same level as the Law Enforcement Personnel who brutally beat the victim to death.

3 Likes

This action seems like somebodies CYA move. Regardless of job title, each individual, each department, is required to file full and complete incident reports.

Um Darr one of those houses had a 10 y/o girl in it. The bullets missed her sleeping her bed by inches. When she got up in the morning she had drywall dust all over her and her bed.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available